completely new to all this need advice

• 15 Replies

not a clue

completely new to all this need advice
« on: July 12, 2009, 08:03 »
Hi i have just been given the opportunity to work a bit of land. The land is very steep with some fruit trees already there (roll on the perry :tongue2:) a lot of it is also covered by ferns and bracken which i plan on clearing to make some small terraces (its too steep for big terraces). Ive no idea what is plantable at this time of year or what to do with the ferns? can they be composted? any suggestions and ideas are welcomed

elibump

Re: completely new to all this need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 08:24 »
Try looking at John's monthly list on the home page for what to plant when.  Other than that I don't know - but someone who does know better and understands compost will be along soon to help & advise.   :)
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 10:38 »
Initially it would seem OK as they produce a fair bit of greenery to break down. But now don't think that composting bracken and ferns is a great idea.
They have seeds on the leaves so you are effectively putting the seeds in a compost heap and they seem to like that enviroment.
Wondered if they could be shredded and did a search and found that there is a possibility that they can be carcenogenic.
Guess that the simple option is to dig them up and burn them, or burn them and dig them up.

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 13:44 »
in aldi or lidle they are doing a pack of 6 different seeds called winter vegetables and they are all plant now they are, 
carrot          autumn king                         sow march-july       harvest august-november
kale             dwarf green curled                       may-july                      november-february
cabbage      offenham                                     july-september            january-april
turnip          ----                                                    march-july                   may-october
swede         ----                                                   april-july                       november-february
onion          ishikura                                            march-june                   may-october

i also got another pack of 6 called healthy leaf vegetables
spring cabbage       pixie                       late july-early august             march-april
oriental leaf salad                                 all year round
chard          bright lights                       april-august                           july november
spinach                                               september or feb-may                    dec-jan june-aug
rocket salad                                         april-september                         may-october
lettuce         all year round                  feb-september                            march-october

these should get you started both packs £4
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 14:11 »
Terry Walton from the Jeremy Vine radio prog and in his book(lovely memories of his youth) composts bracken from the hillsides around his allotment..no problems reported

http://www.gardening.co.uk/i-dd-1021-daa-1/My-Life-on-a-Hillside-Allotment-by-Terry-Walton/

and at Kew
At both Wakehurst and Kew, bracken compost is collected from local nature reserves

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 14:38 »
there is a possibility that they can be carcenogenic.

It's the airbourne spores from bracken that are (suggested to be) carcenogenic so properly composted bracken should be ok. If memory serves, bracken preferes acid soil, if so, might be worth adding some lime first.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 14:51 »
I was concerned about the spores as well. Unless you know ferns well, you may well be adding them at a time when their spores are ready to fly and you'll have young ferns everywhere later. There's an old saying: If you don't know, don't.
Or, at least make their own compost pile so that any mistakes can quickly and efficiently dealt with.

It's not too late to plant carrots for a small and tender late crop; spinach, lettuce and chard will give yields later. A few spuds will give a small and tasty yield later.
I wouldn't get too involved in what you can plant as you'll have more need to properly prepare your soil for next season. As all the actively planting members can tell you, it seems to take ages to pull out perennial weed roots, clear out debris and rocks, amend the soil, mix it all in and keep amending. Compost bins need to be made, netting cages made and cold frames made, etc.

hamstergbert

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 16:01 »
Get a nice fire going with whatever woody bits you can find and when really burning hotly quickly pile the bracken and ferns on top then before the smoke can annoy too many people shovel a layer of dryish soil on the top.  add to the layer of soil until most of the smoke is contained then leave the pile to smoulder away for a few days.  Kills the spores nicely.

Be a bit careful when working with bracken though - often infested with ticks that can give you Lyme disease and some other nasties your life is not improved by experiencing...
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

duriancake

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 16:24 »
Regarding the seeds suggested above, the ones from Aldi were £1.99. I saw them yersterday and bought one which contains a set of 6 different seed packets. I think there were altogether 4 different collections on offer. I hope to sow these ones in August when the onions and brassicas have been completely lifted. Pic enclosed for your interest.

All the best!
winter seeds.jpg

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 19:32 »
poundland had the same kind of packs of seeds  ;)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 20:04 »

How much were they?  :D :lol:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 20:18 »

How much were they?  :D :lol:

Im not too sure..but I reckon Ice will know  ;)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 20:50 »
I realise you want to get rid of them but would it be possible to rehome the ferns?  Could you have a wildlife-friendly area somewhere nearby that you could move them to (might attract beneficial wildlife perhaps - frog? toad? hedgehog?) or perhaps one of your neighbours might be interested in taking them if they like wildlife gardening?  Just a thought - seems a shame to burn them... 

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 20:58 »

Im not too sure..but I reckon Ice will know  ;)
They're £1.59 with a permanent 59p reduction.  Bargain. ;) :D
Cheese makes everything better.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 21:07 »
Kerching  :lol:

xx
And now for something completely different

Started by snowdrops on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 11:41
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Completely clueless!

Started by Finally! on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 11, 2010, 13:36
by digalotty
sad
Completely Decimated

Started by cammi on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 08:02
by Kristen
xx
Starting Completely from the beginning...

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2006, 16:46
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.579 seconds with 38 queries.