spuds now what????????????

• 13 Replies

goddards

spuds now what????????????
« on: July 11, 2009, 22:19 »
hi all

am very much the novice allotment holder and in need of some friendly advice please?

have just dug up my first spuds (which by the way were better than any spud i have brought from the supermarket!) but now im not sure what to put in the bed i know your meant to rotate the beds etc i already have a bed for carrots, onions and cabbages and strawberries but not too sure what i can put in the old spud bed? i have some swede seeds but other than that i dont have anything and i still have 2 spare beds does anyone have any ideas as to what i could plant out that im not too late for?

thanks very much in advance

Kabby

Re: spuds now what????????????
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 22:30 »
I was going to post exactly the same question.  We are just starting to dig up our spuds and I've been wondering what (if anything) I should put in their place?

Looking forward to some ideas
I'd like to think I knew what I was doing....but generally I don't!!!

goddards

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 22:32 »
i know i have been looking in my books but none of them say what to put in after spuds! everything else which is just typical lol!

have loads of problems with weeds on our plot too so trying to work out best way to mulch them!

peterjf

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 22:34 »
after weeding the spud patch , most of our old guys grow year round caulis or winter cabbage

goddards

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 22:36 »
thank you

do you think it would hurt if i put the swedes and parsnips in that bed?

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 22:37 »
Think you'll find most organized allotment holders ( That will be DD and Aunt Sally  :tongue2: ) will be putting their leeks in after their spuds.   They may also try and squeeze a sowing of peas or French beans in there.

I on the other hand will also be looking at a bare patch of earth wondering why I didn't think to sow something 3 weeks ago to fill it  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 22:40 »
I have put leeks and butternuts and cougettes where the spuds were. But that's not much help if you haven't got the plants ready and waiting to go in. ::)
You could still sow some late peas and some french beans though :D

goddards

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 22:44 »
have not been as organised as i should have been but this is our first year (only had the allotment since jan this year!) think it will all be trial and error!

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 22:50 »
My first year also, but would this space not be a good one to prepare for overwintering onion and garlic. I've been been planning to do this with my bed once the spuds are out.
  Can anyone see an obvious problem with this?

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 00:17 »
It depends to some extent what crops will be in the potato bed next year. One thing to avoid is sowing/planting something that will overwinter and be in the way next Spring when, for example, you want the ground for early planted crops such as onions or carrots.

Many people plant cabbages, caulis, or leeks. It is not too late for dwarf french beans. Salad crops, pak choi, carrots, beetroot.

Green manure such as phacelia or mustard is an alternative. Broadcast the seeds quite thickly and rake them in. Water if needed. They can either be dug in when they are about 9 inches high or leave them until just before flowering and then cut them down and leave them on the surface as a mulch to be dug in during the Autumn. You may get some regrowth but just chop ot again. Leave some of the phacelia to flower for the bees.

How you reduce the weeds depends on what they are. If they are perennial weed, such as couch grass ot thistles, then this is a good opportunity to dig them out. If they are annual weeds such as fat hen or chickweed then one approach is to get as many weed seeds to germinate as you can. Work the soil into a fine seedbed and firm it down. Let the weeds germinate, water if needed, and then hoe them up. Repeat the process.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 06:08 »
Think you'll find most organized allotment holders ( That will be DD and Aunt Sally  :tongue2: ) will be putting their leeks in after their spuds.   They may also try and squeeze a sowing of peas or French beans in there.

Actually, I'm fortunate enough to have the space not to worry about trying to cram another crop in.

My current spud patch will be standing fallow until next spring and having a rest.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Bozwell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 06:35 »
 Salmo that's not a bad idea, get out what perennial weeds you can and sow green manure. Potatoes are meant to be greedy and take a lot out of the soil. :) :) :)
Can you hear voices?

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 07:32 »
Im going to sow some green manure's i think.
Thanks
Kris

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 12:49 »
spring caulies and cabbages for me
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
clip
A few Q about my spuds... please!

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 21:13
by mumofstig
xx
Spuds have come........oh oh what have I done?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 11:22
by Kagganz

Page created in 0.565 seconds with 37 queries.