terrier trouble

• 38 Replies

dizzylizzie

Re: terrier trouble
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 10:18 »
thankyou once again for all your advice and support. Sassy you are right, it is helped by weight bearing exercise......but im not sure how to aproach it with her, or even if its my place to say.....but thanks for your info anyway :D
thanks for the link aunt sally, she has no internet access, but i will show it to her (if she ever speaks to me again after tomorrow)
i feel a bit more reasured about the muzzle from what you said janet12000...... but she isnt my dog, so its not up to me. i will put it to her tho, and say i would be more than happy to walk her if she wears one
thankyou once again for all your help, take care lizzie x

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 11:01 »
I agree with the sentiments expressed here that you are more then in your rights to improve the fencing to protect your girls. I think the trellis is a good idea. I think if I were in your position I would explain to your neighbour that your are GOING to improve the fencing and would she prefer the trellis, a fence or the gate that you have already offered. I would point out that the dog has already killed one of your pets and that you can't risk your hens. Given that you would actually have the right to kill this dog (not that I am suggesting that for a second) if it is on your land without permission and harming your animals I think a fence is more than reasonable.

Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 11:11 »
I should be painting a ceiling, but anyway  :D...............as long as it's on your side of the boundary you can put up what you want. If she wants to chat to you, trellis would be a good idea. But make sure the gaps in it can't be squeezed through by the terrier  ;) I'd put a muzzle on the dog, then no harm can come to any other dog on the walks. The dog whisperer is brilliant. He's written a book. I must say you are a very understanding and good willed neighbour!
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

karlooben

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 12:24 »
i agree with everyone , also u could mention to her about the dogs behaviuor that if it wasnt sorted then someone may report her to the rspca for it . i am surprised no ones done that to me yet casue of jack now hes evil especailly with other dogs ,if only i could afford it ceasar could have jack now that would be a chanellge for him  :lol: :lol:.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

dizzylizzie

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 12:30 »
 >:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: >:(
ok..... things did NOT go well. just been down the garden, and she appeared at the fence.the conversation went somthing like this:
me: i will be ready to put the coop into place today. we are soooo excited about getting our chickens
her: not long now, when are you putting the run up?
me:well i wanted to talk to you about that. you know how much i like judy(the dog), but im really worried that she will kill the chickens....im not saying she's naughty but she is a terrier and its instinct.
her: your having a go about the rabbit... i offered to buy you a new one, but said no.
me: i didnt want a new one, we wanted that one, but ayway, im worried about the chickens so im going to put trellis up.
her:well your not fixing it to my fence it will weaken it

me:we will put one up on my side then.. look i dont want to fall out with you i just want to keep my hens and grommit safe
her: well she dosent bite grommit, that is her way of greeting other dogs
me: KABOOM :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
THE LAST TIOME SHE GREETED MY DOG SHE RIPPED HIS LIP, IM PUTTING A TRELLIS UP TO KEEP HER OUT MY GARDEN AND STOP HER KILLING ANY MORE OF MY ANIMALS
her; run away crying :(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 12:39 »
Oh Dear. It is a shame that she was upset but I do not think that you could have avoided it if she is so determined to ignore the reality of her excitable dog. Think how much worse it would be if you also stuck your head in the sand and lost all your hens to Judy. It certainly seems here that more hens are killed by dogs than foxes.

Hopefully she will calm down when the trellis is in place and she discovers that she can still talk to you and the world doesn't change! A few eggs may ease hostilities. ;) Obviously she's not a believer in the expression "good fences makes good neighbours."

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 12:42 »
FECH HER!!!!

It her that is being unreasonable not you!! You should do whatever you feel YOU need to do to protect your animals.

As for the muzzle, that's a brilliant idea. I'm going to try that on my dogs, as I cant let them in the garden when the chooks are out. They sit at the window shaking and barking and going mad every time me or OH goes near a hen. And we have had 2 occasions when the dogs have very nearly got a hold of a chicken. But if they had a muzzle on, we would maybe find it easier to get them used to the chooks.

Can you see the hunger in my dogs eyes? You see what we've got to deal with? Nightmare!!!!

Yep, put a fence up or you'll never relax if your girls are in the garden!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 12:43 »
oh dear, she obviously doesn't think her dog is dangerous (her osteo doesn't stop her running away then  :lol:). So she has left you no alternative but to put a fence up albeit on your side, if it was me I would put up a solid one now and not a trellis one. Also make sure the dog cannot get under or dig under it by fixing weld mesh or similar bolow the ground all the way along going down at least 12". Being a terrier that has the taste of blood it will be very determined.  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 12:43 »
A wise man once said

"Good fences make good neighbours"

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 12:50 »
well if anyone needs a free mesh muzzle for a slightly bigger size dog I did put it on the swop pages - fits border collie, beagle, poodle or spaniel (cocker or springer) just pm me. It is new unworn (packaging a bit grubby as it has been hanging around my utility for a few years) as it was too narrow on the nose for my collie cross retriever dog (no longer with me  :(). joyfullxx

8doubles

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 13:13 »
I doubt if normal wooden trellis would stop a jack russell , it might slow it down but not for long a determined (or bored) dog could eat through a fence panel in 1/2 an hour. Some kind of decorative wire would be a stronger barrier and painted black would not be too much of an eyesore.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 13:23 »
well a fence/trellis is going up tomorrow.....my first responsibility is to look after my animals. i feel very bad that she is so upset,the dog is a nice dog.....with killer instincts.  will try and bribe her with a few eggs ;)
parson, i love that photo of your dog trying to get into the chicken. the chicken looks sooo calm sitting JUST out of reach of your dog. bet she's thinking yea yea...whatever :D
once again, thankyou to everyone who has given advice and support...i really appreciate it :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 13:44 »
A wise man once said

"Good fences make good neighbours"

Obviously she's not a believer in the expression "good fences makes good neighbours."

Think it was a woman! Me.  :D ;)

janet12000

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 16:21 »
I really feel for poor Judy. It is obvious this woman can't cope with her.
The sad thing is that she will probably end up giving up the dog by which point the dog will be so aggressive it will be hard to rehome.
I know you said she acquired via a friend but if its not being looked after properly.....ie. being exercised correctly then she should consider handing it over to the rspca or some other animal welfare place.
If she really wants a companion to keep her company then she should get a pet with less needs. A goldfish springs to mind.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 16:55 »
hi Janet12000. i have to say i am with you..... unfortunatly a lot of pet owners dont put enough thought of effort into the caring of their pet. i personally think you should always do your research, find out as much as you can about the animal/breed and then decide if that is going to be the pet for you! its very sad that some people dont do this. Also people like my neighbour who think they are doing good turns by taking the animal in, but not actually having the time, knowledge,lifestyle or health to look after the animal properly, make me angry. Unfortunatly, organizeations like the R.S.P.C.A are soooo over stretched that they would not remove a dog that was loved, fed, and had a home, because it needed training/and proper exercise. i think its cruel to keep a dog like a jack russel then never take it out..... but the R.S.P.C.A  wouldnt respond to a situation like this. its very sad, because it will probably take something awful to happen before people act. i would not take her out without a muzzle now, because if she did bite it would be me that is held responsabal.(sp?)... and as much as i feel sorry for her i will not take that responsibilty on. In an ideal world she would be found a new home.... she would make and fab ratter/rabbiter. its very sad.... but im not sure what i can do

thanks once again for all your help and support :)

xx
Trouble with a cat!

Started by Taygator on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 13:00
by animartco
exclamation
Trouble in the pen

Started by chucksaway on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 21:33
by drumcrow
xx
HELP ! this could be trouble

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 10:38
by chooksbury
xx
ckicken trouble

Started by davidoneil on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 21:20
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 37 queries.