found a chicken - what to do with her?

• 15 Replies

jane_a

found a chicken - what to do with her?
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:36 »
Hi
I found a lovely red hen next to a local dual carriageway 2 days ago.  I've rung around vets, etc, but no-one has reported her missing.  by day she wanders and scratches round my back garden and I put her in an old rabbit hutch overnight.  She layed an egg on her first night in the hutch.  There were a couple of cats in the garden this moring so I have put her in the hutch with some food and water. She is very friendly and tries to come in to th house with us.  all her wing feathers are cut straight across, so she just has 'stumps' which looks quite brutal?  As i say though, she is a happy healthy looking bird.

Immediate concerns: if she stays with us, how much of a threat are cats?  Would she need a wire enclosure during the day?
Can a hen be happy living on her own? 

Any advice gratefully received.

Vember

Re: found a chicken - what to do with her?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:42 »
Hi Jane :)

Poor Hen :( Wonder how she got there  :ohmy: :)

Well done you for rescuing her :)

The cats shouldn't be a problem i have 6 they ignore my birds :) She will need some protection from foxes, even if you think there aren't any near by it's better to be safe than sorry :)

In regards to a pal yes she really does need some company, it's best to keep 3 hens
 together then if anything does happen to one they still have some company :D

Where abouts are you in the world ? Someone may be able to help out with a pal for her :)

Sarah :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 09:47 »
Hello jane_a and firstly welcome to the forum. Well done you for picking her up and looking after her. By the sounds of it somebody has tried to clip her wings to stop her flying off (although it sounds that they have done this all wrong anyway), but it obviously hasn't worked  :D. It would be nice if you could get her a friend or two and yes a run for her would be nice, for the times that you don't want/cant have her free ranging. I don't have cats but reading on here it seems that cats and chickens get along quite well usually. Did you enjoy the first egg? If you have an hour or two then have a look at the other posts on here and you may pick up loads and loads of useful information. By the way where abouts are you? joyfullxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

jane_a

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 09:54 »
Thanks for the quick replies.  We're in Holbury, on the edge of the New Forest, Southampton.
There will certainly be foxes in the area and although we haven't seen them in the garden, I suspect that could change rapidly now!
Yes, i'm reading as fast as I can and getting quite into the idea of keeping chickens now.  It's something we'd thought about before, but this has rather forced the issue.  We haven't eaten the egg - it shouldn't have come as a surprise, but there's somenting a bit special about it!
3 hens sounds fine to me - any help sourcing or selecting welcome.
Are there any planning/neighbour issues to consider with?

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 09:59 »
If you go up to the top of the page you will see a section called Poultry pages, click on there and you will find a section called poultry suppliers. As for foxes yes they will be around so make it as secure as you can , sink welded wire mesh into the ground to prevent digging under and make sure that no trees etc overhang the top as they will climb in - foxes are brilliant climbers. As for planning neighbour issues it depends on your local council and if your house is rented as some landlords/housing authorities do not allow chickens  :(. Neighbours are ususally easier to deal with just give them the odd egg or two  :D

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 10:15 »
hi there! i noticed you are in new forest so thought it was worth metioning that there is a rare poultry auction in salisbury on saturday morning- not really too far away from you.  you can download a catalogue (am i alowd to say where from?) - otherwise google it, doesnt give you much time i know, but ive seen the catalogue and they gotr some interesting poultry, you can buy single hens too. - im sure you can get tips of this site for buying at auction - or maybe someone with knowledge is already going and could help you?
 i must say that hen was lucky it was you that found her! Best of luck!

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:17 »
sorry - meant to say next saturday (not tomoro) for auction, that is the 18th of July!! - gives you a bit more time afterall!!

jane_a

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:33 »
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
I've found a supplier about 4 miles away who advertise as 'Probably the finest  organisation involving all types of Poultry in the world', so they have to be worth a visit. 

I'll post an update later today to let you know whether stumpy (+friends) and I are going to have a longer term relationship.  The way she's climbing on top of the rabbit hutch and trying to come in through the kitchen window, I think she's keen to maintain the contact.

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 10:40 »
oh bless, looks like she's got a friend for life in you  :D.
Don't forget to post a photo of her and her egg plus her new friends when you get them, you won't regret it they really are wonderfull and amusing things.

tiptopchickendon

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 11:41 »
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
I've found a supplier about 4 miles away who advertise as 'Probably the finest  organisation involving all types of Poultry in the world', so they have to be worth a visit. 

I'll post an update later today to let you know whether stumpy (+friends) and I are going to have a longer term relationship.  The way she's climbing on top of the rabbit hutch and trying to come in through the kitchen window, I think she's keen to maintain the contact.

Well done on give the girl a new home, sounds like a friendly one  :D

We were driving around the other week and found 2 birds wondering about a country, turns out that was a breeder near by and its away of attracting business....it worked we bought 2 more birds a few weeks later  ::)

Also, I googled and had a look at that website you mentioned, and their birds look abit pricey to me, with no prices give for the coops?

Anyway, good luck with Stumpy and watch out...Chicken keeping is addictive

jane_a

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 15:17 »
Well, she'd laid another egg by lunchtime, so she's earned her place for effort and comic relief. We lost a much loved dog this week so becoming an accidental chicken keeper has been a welcome distraction (however, commitment has been considered, don't worry)
We now have 2 new additions: a bluebird and a White leghorn/rhode island red cross. yes, we have probably paid over the odds, but being only a few miles gave a saving in fuel and time.
If you'd asked me on Monday what i was planning to do on Friday, this wouldn't have been on the list!

flangey

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 15:27 »
What a fabulous story, she definately fell on her feet when you found her! Sorry to hear about your dog though, horribly sad.  The others are right ref cats, I've got four, three of which totally ignore them and the forth has fallen in love with them and follows them everywhere.  The three dogs love them too, (bit too keen on eating their poo though urrrggh).  I live up the other end of the M3 near Basingstoke and if you decide on anymore chickens there's a lovely place near here at Hook in Hampshire.  She sells some lovely hy-brids and she does a great chicken keeping course.

Good luck, keep us posted on how you're getting on :)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 17:24 »
It's funny how things turn out isn't it, love the story of your "foundling", You'll have to post some pics for us.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 07:33 »
hi, what a fab story :D welcome to the forum.... ive found it a fab place with friendly peeps who between them know just about everything there is to know bout chickens/ducks/geese etc.
so sorry to hear about you dog, our pets are very much loved and its so hard when you have to say goodbye.
im glad the chicken has taken your mind off it slightly..... i believe everything happens for a reason.....she's obviously chosen you..... i mean.... who picks a chicken up off a dual carriage way? he he he
good luck with them  anyway, look forward to pictures :D

jane_a

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 14:28 »
Thank you to all for the support and encouragement.  Stumpy has now been given the more dignified name of Penny.  Her new companions are Clara and Flo.  I've submitted a photo of Penny to the gallery.

Turns out that Penny, in addition to her skills as therapist, comedian and erstwhile escapologist, is a total hoodlam.  Clara and Flo are confined to barracks at present, being unclipped and a bit flighty.  If I put Penny in the run with them, she pecks quite aggressively and chases the smallest (Flo) round the run - even if Flo tries to escape into the roosting area.  So, Penny is free ranging and staring menacingly through the bars at her supposed companions.  I've been feeding them comb-to-comb either side of the netting and will introduce them again in more open space once the younger birds can be let out. 

Penny is still laying reliably at between 10 and 10:30 am each day.  She goes back into the old rabbit hutch to perform, which is still her night-time home, thanks to her social skills.  I sat ringside with my little grandson yesterday morning and watched her lay- then he wanted to stay and watch the egg hatch.  We had a short discussion about growing eggs vs eating eggs, at which point he matter of factly collected the egg and took it for his lunch.  He's decided the girls are collectively to be known as ‘Uncle Chicken’ and spent the whole afternoon bobbing and rosey around the garden with Penny.  I can’t get over the pleasure this little twist of fate has brought to us.

xx
Just found a chicken...is it male or female?

Started by peachesandclive on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 12:30
by Chookiechook
xx
Free Range Chicken Missing 8 days just found her broody

Started by pookey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 19:09
by pookey
xx
hen found

Started by rhodes128 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 11:06
by compostqueen
xx
We found some chickens

Started by Mitsy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 21:51
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 37 queries.