Centipedes eating potatoes???

• 25 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Centipedes eating potatoes???
« on: July 09, 2009, 21:31 »
My blinking potatoes are being eaten again!!!!!!!!
Last year I posted to ask what it might be, ell worms and wire worms were suggested and nether creature looked like what I was finding in the spuds, but the holes did. I duely planted mustard in the beds over winter.

Now I am harvesting this years crop I am finding the same creatures and holes in spuds and am really cheesed off that it's being spoilt again. I am able to eat the pots, but it is labour intensive to dig out the holes and make sure the creature is out.
They do look like tiny thin white (Almost see through) centiepedes. I will try to take a pic when I find some more.

Any ideas??

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Centipedes eating potatoes???
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 12:05 »
Got your pic yet?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

bonfire

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 15:20 »
When you say you planted mustard in the beds - are you growing in the same bed as last year?

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 20:29 »
Sorry, no pics yet.. need to find another infested spud!!LOL the ones from the last dig, seem to have crawled away before I peeled them.
I did not plant in the same bed this year no, but I grew mustard as I know it is meant to help, I now have onions in it with pots going in next year.

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:19 »
sorry, I added the picture to the post from last year, when the holes started.
I know the spuds have scab, and this one has no holes, but these things are all inside the holes, but no sign of any wire worms, just hundreds of these!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 09:59 »
Wireworms?  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 11:54 »
I had centipedes in a couple of my potatoes too. I checked all books and pics because I had assumed wire worms too. Luckily the rest were ok  :)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 18:36 »
 I found these pieces of information, I hope they help. We too have problems with millipedes, and as yet I believe there is no chemical control :unsure: but current advice is good housekeeping around the plot.
Millipedes may be confused with wireworms because of their similar shapes. Wireworms, however, are click beetle larvae, have only three pairs of legs, and stay underneath the soil surface.

Habitat and Importance
Millipedes normally live in and feed on rotting leaves and wood and other kinds of moist decaying plant matter. Generally, their role is a beneficial one in helping to break down dead plant matter. However, when they become numerous, they may damage sprouting seeds, seedlings, or strawberries and other ripening fruits in contact with the ground.
Diet: Most millipedes are herbivores (plant-eaters) that eat dead and decaying plant material, but a few are also carnivores (meat-eaters). Millipedes also occasionally eat moist, living plants. They are often nocturnal (more active at night).

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 19:43 »
Had the same problem last year on my maincrops, also found them in holes on my parsnips and even in pea pods (that were growing  next to tatties). This year I found huge quantities around the bases of elderly lambs lettuce. In all cases the millipedes were much smaller than the holes they were around so it could be that  they are opportunists feeding on damage caused by other pests. Would it be worth blitzing potential slugs/wireworms and seeing if that helps. Otherwise if they preferentially feed on decaying matter try putting some old manky leaves near your crops to distract the little blighters (though you might need to deslug as the bait may also attract them).

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 20:03 »
I found these pieces of information, I hope they help. We too have problems with millipedes, and as yet I believe there is no chemical control :unsure: but current advice is good housekeeping around the plot.
Millipedes may be confused with wireworms because of their similar shapes. Wireworms, however, are click beetle larvae, have only three pairs of legs, and stay underneath the soil surface.

Habitat and Importance
Millipedes normally live in and feed on rotting leaves and wood and other kinds of moist decaying plant matter. Generally, their role is a beneficial one in helping to break down dead plant matter. However, when they become numerous, they may damage sprouting seeds, seedlings, or strawberries and other ripening fruits in contact with the ground.
Diet: Most millipedes are herbivores (plant-eaters) that eat dead and decaying plant material, but a few are also carnivores (meat-eaters). Millipedes also occasionally eat moist, living plants. They are often nocturnal (more active at night).

Useful post, Tattyanne  :)

Please could you include a link to the site or book which you got the info from - for copyright reasons?  Thanks
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 21:28 »
Thank you, all very useful and good to know that I am not alone in this problem!

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 13:31 »
Ohhh Yorkie ??? now you're asking something! I'm afraid I just typed Milliipede into the address bar then scrolled through the results. Sorry

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 17:34 »
Well so long as you remember next time  ;) ;)

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 19:49 »
I think the same thing is eating my spuds too.  Tiny, thread like centipedes, very fine, about and inch long, lots of legs, creamy white in colour, bores little holes into spuds - I can't find anything online that looks like them either.

Will take a photo next time I see any so we can compare!  Annoying little bleeders.
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 21:38 »
I had better put my specs on next time I go furtling.... found a few holes in two of my spuds.  >:(

I was pretty sure it was wireworm.... they don't have legs... Do they?

xx
Help something is eating my potatoes!

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2019, 12:27
by Paul Plots
xx
Is something eating my potatoes?

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 20:36
by Lulu
xx
what's been eating my potatoes?

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 13:38
by JayG
xx
What's eating my potatoes?

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 20:42
by zestymordant

Page created in 1.117 seconds with 37 queries.