Centipedes eating potatoes???

• 25 Replies

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
Re: Centipedes eating potatoes???
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 08:51 »
Wireworms have three pairs of legs behind the head apparently and they are quite fat and orangey brown.  (thank you to http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/wireworm.htm)

These things eating my taters are def not wireworms - but I don't think they are the same critters as in louby's pic because they are a different colour - unless they are a juvenile of the same creature?  Some bugs change colour as they grow don't they?  I left some spuds in a bowl of water for ten mins or so - was in the middle of scrubbing them when the phone went.....when I came back, there were 4 of these critters "swimming" and a few dead ones in the bottom of the bowl.  Definately, thread-like, cream coloured, with legs - about and inch long, or less.  Yuk.

I think I have eelworms..................just Googled a bit more and read something about small spherial cysts on the roots of the plants - it rang a horrible bell that I saw something like this on the potato roots I dug up at the weekend.... >:(   Pants.  Still.....not EVERY tater has been nibbled.

What is the consensus on eating the potatoes with folks?  Do you chuck the whole potato or just cut off the tunnelled bit and eat the rest?  I've done both so far....and I am still alive to tell the tale! :D
wireworm1[1].jpg
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:58 by Lady Lottie »
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Lady Lottie

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 09:15 »
I had better put my specs on next time I go furtling.... found a few holes in two of my spuds.  >:(

I was pretty sure it was wireworm.... they don't have legs... Do they?

:D  I do chortle everytime I see the word "furtling".........I can't help but think of its alternative meaning which is to put your fingers through holes cut out of pictures of (usually) ladies and ............use your imagination - its an 18th century thing!  The things they did for entertainment - honestly!  ::) :lol:

Anyway.......back to potatoes and millipedes.... :blush:

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 10:48 »
I really don't like the look of that wireworm.... I'm not sure why but there's something quite unpleasant about it - to say nothing of the the fact that it eats wholes in my spuds.

Looking closely it seems to have "legs" - well, there's something at the front and back.  :tongue2:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 19:39 »
I just cut the bits out  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lady Lottie

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 20:09 »
Well there's two of us alive to tell the tale then! :D

Just wondering if there is any correlation between the variety of potatoes we have all planted?  I planted Rocket.  Harvested some Desiree cos the tops were looking a bit manky (had them for tea tonight - they were beeeyoodiful) :happy: - anyway - they were perfect, not a single spud had a hole and not a centipedey/millipedey/crawly type thing in sight either - and they are planted right next to the Rocket variety.

And yes, I agree, Learner - those wireworms do kind of make you want to say "uurrgghhhhhh......" and shudder a wee bit. :blink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 21:35 »
I think your creepy crawlies maybe eating in holes started off by slugs. Some varieties are known for their 'resistance' to slugs, so, no slugs no millepedes/centipedes

Lady Lottie

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 21:39 »
A possibility I suppose but I have seen so little evidence of slugs at all - the holes are very tidy and small and uniform.  We really need pics on this thread don't we!?  I will dig up some taters at the weekend and if there are anymore with these pesky little holes and critters I will whip me camera out! :D

Salmo

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 23:56 »
I think the photo is of spotted snake millipedes. Type it into google images. They are very slim,  have red spots along their sides and lots of fine legs.

Wireworms are yellow, between 5mm and 30 mm long with 6 legs and are difficult to squidge.

Eelworms are microscopic so you cannot see them. Their eggs are in lemon shaped white or yellow cysts the size of a grain of sand that are attached to the fine potato roots. Each cyst contains hundreds of eggs which hatch next year if potato roots are near.

Sometimes baby earthworms are mistaken for something more terrible

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 01:07 »
A possibility I suppose but I have seen so little evidence of slugs at all - the holes are very tidy and small and uniform.  We really need pics on this thread don't we!?  I will dig up some taters at the weekend and if there are anymore with these pesky little holes and critters I will whip me camera out! :D

I have hardly ever had any slug damage at all but mini-holes by the dot full.... some spuds are more prone than others they tell me on my site. Most plot holders grow desiree (as far as I can remember - think that's the one). I've grown Cara, Wilja, Charlotte and Rocket. I grow these as we prefer the taste & cooking qualities.

The Rocket and Charlottes had no signs of any holes at all but the first of the main crop dug already show mini-holes. A nuisance as it causes lots of waste and takes more preparation time avoiding the holes!  :(

Lady Lottie

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 09:01 »
Guess it's not Eelworms then! :lol:  Didn't know they were microscopic.... :wub: :nowink:

I was leaning towards the spotted snake millipede too because its the only image so far on Google that fits the bill - apart from the spots - though of course these could be so tiny I might not be able see them - I suppose I was assuming the spots would be really obvious therefore deciding my millipede thingies are spotless and therefore not snake millipedes!? ::)

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 09:46 »
There seems to be a problem developing here with this millipede. Has anyone noticed it before, or is it just this year. We have a problem with it on our allotments. It is fairly easily recognised by the way it rolls into a coil when disturbed. I dont think wireworms do that.

xx
Is something eating my potatoes?

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 20:36
by Lulu
xx
what's been eating my potatoes?

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 13:38
by JayG
xx
What's eating my potatoes?

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 20:42
by zestymordant
xx
Help something is eating my potatoes!

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2019, 12:27
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.655 seconds with 38 queries.