Keeping cockerals

• 5 Replies

darcyhen

Keeping cockerals
« on: July 09, 2009, 21:01 »
Hello,
I suspect that I have five cockerals out of my broody's clutch of 7. I don't plan to keep any for breeding so i think they might be for the pot but is it possible to keep a 'flock' of cockerals. I could put them in the orchard away from the hens. I have heard that they don't try to kill each other if they can't get to the hens.
Is this true? Has anyone managed to rear more than one cockerel kept seperate from hens?
If this is not true what are my options?
They are only 5/6 weeks so early days but mindful of the future.
Thanks
Michelle

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
Re: Keeping cockerals
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 22:59 »
Hi,
Cockerels are usually fine kept together if they are bought up together, also if there are no hens.
I currently have more than one cockerel with my hens, in Leghorns, Marans and Buff Orpington Bantams.
You should have no problem.
Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 08:08 »
Hi, i will also be trying this, but from what i've read i think it will be best to have an older one first and add youngsters after
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:13 »
Hi, i will also be trying this, but from what i've read i think it will be best to have an older one first and add youngsters after
I have also done this, it doesn't always work as the older cockerel see's the younger one as a threat, you need to make sure the younger one is not all that mature.
At the moment I have a year old Buff Orpington cockerel looking after a load of 8 - 12 week old chicks, cockerels and hens. I put him in with them when I had a crow or magpie kill one of the chicks as they are in a large open pen, no more problems since he has been in there.

Michelle xx

darcyhen

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:51 »
Morning!
I think my plan is to seperate them once cockerel behaviour shows and put them in the orchard. They will have a large area to roam and a safe house. If they stand by the only bit of fence they will be able to see the garden with the hens but hopefully that will not cause them to start fighting each other.
What I don't know is
1. When are they ready for the pot?
2. Will i need to keep them in their new house for the first three nights like i did with my POL hens?
3. Foxes - i am assuming they are just as vunerable. So far we haven't had any problems  but the hens are in a walled garden (just a bit of fence by orchard). I am a bit concerned that putting the cockerals in the orchard will alert foxes to the hens.
4. There is an old pig sty in the orchard that we can convert for the cockerals. I guess they just need something to roost on??
As this seems to be a bit unusual i shall report back on what happens.
Michelle

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 09:11 »
In my last batch of chicks - copper black marans - I have 4 cockerels and had thought that they would be ready for the pot when they are about 16 weeks old - did try putting an add on here free to good home but no takers, so the pot it will be.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Cockerals

Started by karenn on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 18:50
by themagicaltoad1
xx
on no ! cockerals

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2010, 12:21
by lisa80
xx
cockerals

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 10:54
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Have I got cockerals?

Started by min200 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 14:08
by stan deakin

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 30 queries.