WOW! I've actually grown a potato!!!

• 13 Replies

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
WOW! I've actually grown a potato!!!
« on: July 09, 2009, 12:15 »
Hello gardeners,

I've only posted on the chicken pages before but I'm bursting with pride at my 5 yes FIVE potatoes!  Never before have I grown any, managed tomatoes but even then I haven't looked after them and only had a few.

I have realised now that with a bit more attention I could've topped up the compost and had even more of a harvest, but i'm pleased as punch with the buried treasure my son and I have just unearthed.  I was told that as my plants had flowers on they were ready to dig up.  So from only 1 rather wrinkly seed potato and a forgotten large plastic tub we have grown our lunch in the back garden.  The sweet peas are growing like mad too this year and I wish now that I have paid more attention to the tomatoes.  We have planted out courgettes too, in gro-bags, hope they survive the hens.

After having a new roof last year, the builders left some planks, (their loss eh?!) I have laid them out and they fit perfectly into a bed alongside the house, doesn't get much rain there though as it's sheltered, but plenty of sun on horrid hard clay soil, which I have only ever grown weeds in  ::) so I feel a raised bed coming on.  If I pull my finger out will I manage to get some carrots in or is it too late?  Will they grow in a raised bed?  thought it will look better and be easier for the boys to tend too and bit of proctection from the hens, although any suggestions for added protection will be welcomed.

GOSH I chat too much!  (thanks for listening)

Happy digging everyone.

C. X
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

Mike.white

• Experienced Member
    • Mike White
Re: WOW! I've actually grown a potato!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 12:53 »
well done you - and welcome here - great feeling, isn't it?
For the latest on the BIG project, read my blog.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 19:07 »
Congratulations, there's nothing quite like the taste of your first harvest  :D

Not too late to get carrots in, but might be worth looking for one that says it is a shorter growing season - an early or autumn variety.

Here's a chart showing sowing and harvesting times.

If the bed is more than 24" high then you are perhaps less likely to get the dreaded carrot fly, many people net against this but it can be quite expensive and perhaps worth planning out a bit more first so you get the right size etc
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 19:18 »
Clairbeau that's great! Now that you have gotten the bug, so to speak, you'll be doing more and more I'm sure  ;)

Bet those spuds tasted good  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 19:21 »
uh oh!  now you've done it!  you'll not stop at potatoes and tomatoes though ::)

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 20:01 »
Well talk about being keen! 

I have bought a drill this afternoon!

MY boys have helped me to make a raised bed!  No pictures i'm afraid, I shall use the excuse that no matter how hard I try, I can't work out how to post them.  Although the real reason is, I am too ashamed that yours are all better than mine, and I will get all the nasty bugs because it's not high enough, and the wood will have poison in it so everything shall die that I plant in there, and the hens will jump on it and it will just collapse anyhow!  Oh me of little faith!  All that matters right now is the fact we've had fun, learnt new things and if i'm honest, looks quite good!  I have been talked into a wildlife pond now, or was that just the excuse to fill the hole we made finding soil to mix with our lovely compost  to fill the thing up with?!  (still no where near full)

Oh, son no.2 wouldn't eat the potatoes!

'But Mummy, they had dirt on, we've just dug them up!'
'Yes Jacob, thats where potatoes come from, they grow in the ground'
'It's OK, you can have them'

Not sure what he'd say if he knew that the gorgeous eggs he has everyday come out of his pets bottoms!!! 

Kids!  Don't you just love em'?!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 07:36 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry though as plants actually want to grow and  overcome all sorts of obstacles.

And if you are worried about your beds looking a bit empty. well don't ------------ everyone starts somewhere and the most important thing is that you have started.  :D :D

We all love piccies  ;)

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:26 »
Your first harvest is great isn't it?! I remember going down to the plot in my first year and being mortified that all my spud tops had gone brown and fallen over... i thought there was a problem so asked the old fella across the way, "Could be all sorts of problems" said he "Go and have dig see if any have survived". Course the spuds were lovely and ready and the owd fella knew that too! I was then v.excited I'd grown something... got a picture of me somewhere grinning like a buffon holding the harvest.

well done you and welcome :)

haworthnick

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 11:08 »
I too have just dug up my first potatoes, but I have noticed that some of them have little white spots on them, that seem to rub off , is this anything to worry about.

Please could someone also tell me why the carrots that we have just dug up are all twisted round.

Nick

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 12:02 »

Please could someone also tell me why the carrots that we have just dug up are all twisted round.

Nick

Welcome haworthnick  :D

Your carrots are twisted as you either have stony ground or you have manured your soil in the last year (carrots and snips dont like that)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

janet12000

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 12:23 »
Congratulations Clairebeau!
It's so great getting veg straight out of the ground for eating.  :D

haworthnick

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 12:32 »
"Your carrots are twisted as you either have stony ground or you have manured your soil in the last year (carrots and snips dont like that)"

I think it's a mixture of the 2, but what about the white spots on my potatoes?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 12:40 »
I wouldn't worry about the spots on your spuds.  I've had that before and it's not affected their storage or cooking.  Don't know what it was - if it's scabbier then it's scab but that isn't a major problem, you can just peel the worst bits off.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 16:12 »
Hi Haworthnick,   welcome to the forums :)

The white spots on your taties are nothing to worry about; if you're storing them then just let the skins set by laying them on the surface after digging them up so that they dry out before storing in breathable bags; lots of people use hessian sacks if you can get hold of any, or perhaps store them in a dry cardboard box with some holes punched in the sides to let in air but keep it in the dark.  If you're not planning on storing then just rub them off and use the taties as normal.

RE your carrots;  they might be twisted round if they weren't thinned out enough when they were growing.  Carrots are finicky and don't like stoney ground or manure, which as Peapod said will cause them to grow extra 'legs'  and can look a bit rude! :D but also they don't like to be grown too close to other carrots otherwise the roots twine around together and will make them look like curly fries!

xx
Pot grown potato question

Started by hotcrossbun on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 18:52
by hotcrossbun
xx
potatoes in grown in potato bags

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2018, 09:10
by New shoot
xx
Which potato varieties have you grown this year - 2011?

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

83 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 22:50
by hanssg
xx
Can any of these be grown in the UK?

Started by BongBrothers on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 21:40
by JayG

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 36 queries.