internal layout of chicken house.

• 3 Replies

animal mad

• Experienced Member
internal layout of chicken house.
« on: July 08, 2009, 21:12 »
Hi, i am currently converting a space in my shed for my new chicks. they have a space of 6 foot by 3 foot and full height. i have 5 hybrid chicks they are currently 3 weeks old and in a brooder. Can anyone advise on a good layout for them and also what age I can transfer them to the hen house ( they are under an electric hen at the moment  which can transfer as well. ) thankyou for your help in advance.|

karlooben

Re: internal layout of chicken house.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 21:39 »
hi there , i am not quite sure on what age u can place your birds into the house but as for the lay out place in there some poles for roasting round poles are better as the birds an wrap thier toes around them mine are about inch an half to 2 inches { they are wooden  poles for fruit cages  } they can be placed at about 1 foot high then u can go higher over time .
and then just give them some comffy nest boxes pretty much anything will do .

i've used odd sheets of wood about 1 foot high in the past to plastic boxes but now i am using larger { cant say name of company } boxes with wood shavings in.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 08:02 »
Hello animal mad,
I intend to kit my new chicken 6ft x 4ft shed out as follows:

Food storage containers along one side, with shelf over and round edged perches above that.  (The droppings will land on the shelf and be cleaned up by me daily.)  Ooh, not so much back bending this time around!  A ladder up to the perches will be provided, but the hens will be able to fly up anyway.

Along the opposite side of the shed, I will put a row or two of nest boxes.  I have an old chest of drawers for some (remove second row of drawers for their access) and other boxes to make up the rest.

Your chicks will be OK to go in the house at 4 weeks of age without heat, but make sure your shed is well ventilated, but with no draughts.  Providing you have an electric supply to the shed, you could put them in there now with the heater.

Actually, at 6ft x 3 ft, you might be better off putting the nest boxes under the shelf and the perches above that, or there won't be room for you to walk up the middle!  The food store can then be at the far end from door.  In fact, I may do my lay out this way, seems better somehow.

Don't forget to make a pop hole, easier than leaving the door open all the time.

Good luck,
cathangirl.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 19:10 »
hi Cathangirl ,
that sounds brilliant , we will be doing the same thing when the chicks are a bit older. They are 3 weeks old at the moment and have the run of the floor, a straw bale and some perches on the floor. they seem to be very happy doing chicken things.   

xx
Chicken Coop Internal Space

Started by D on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 20:16
by D
question
Is this potentually internal laying?

Started by woodbwoodman on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 06:27
by SusieB
xx
which chicken and what house

Started by mumof4 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 09:23
by mumof4
xx
New chicken house

Started by avilla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 05:12
by terri

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 28 queries.