nefliers

• 15 Replies

catllar

nefliers
« on: July 08, 2009, 16:37 »
Got this fab tree in my garden here - evergreen leaves about 20cm long, winter flowering with honeyscented blooms and fruit ripe now - look a bit like apricots, french call them nefliers - lemony sweet and v. juicy. Anyone else come across them and more to the  point any ideas on storing them as they seem to be of the sort that go: Today we're not ripe, tomorrow we will be ripe, the day after - forget it we're outta here and on the ground! :ohmy:

Poolfield2

Re: nefliers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 17:41 »
I never even heard of those, any piccy?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 19:29 »
Babylon French English dictionary
néflier (m)
n. medlar, any of several small Eurasian trees whose fruit resembles the crabapple and is edible when over-ripe; fruit of a medlar tree

Does his help?

Poolfield2

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 00:00 »
OK now I know what we are talking about. We wait for them to be frosted (blettted) and then pick them all squishy and use them to make jelly.

catllar

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:59 »
Thanks for  that - maybe same family as medlar but we had one of those in UK and the leaves were apple-treeish and the fruit were brown whereas these leaves are fabulously decorative and e-green and the fruits are bright orange and scrummy. No pix sadly as all fruit fell off this year at the same times I was in hospital with  broken back (picking apricots - branch broke) so when Im up again - 3 months - I'll try and get a pic posted of the tree. Thanks for your suggestions.

Poolfield2

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 16:53 »
 :ohmy: sorry to hear about your accident, thank goodness you are mending but it must be driving you mad not being able to do all the normal things.

catllar

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 19:06 »
Thank goodness for this forum full of friendly people! My lovely husband has take a photo  of said neflier tree and even some fruit - so once we've worked out how to load it we'll enlighten everyone - I'm sure you're all losing sleep over it (not)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 19:30 »
I must just go very off topic for a sec, Catllar, sorry

Everytime I read the topic heading I get a mental picture of flying knees with wings on the side  ::) (knee fliers, geddit)

Strange how the mind works  8)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 20:08 »
well strange how yours works obviously  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 21:40 »
 :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: ;) :lol:

catllar

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 13:45 »
Yes I hadnt thought of Knee fliers - for a moment there I wondered what you were on about - but Im with you now. Have asked  for the pix to be dealt with but at the moment my husband is busy making us a smoker - not for the knee fliers - for fish and chicken and stuff (Im interested to see where that train of thought takes you Yorkie) Im just lying here in the shade trying to keep cool - hard life, but someone has to do it!

catllar

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 11:29 »
I've got some pix of the nefliers, but each pik is 1mb and I can't load them here. HELP! :blush:

catllar

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 16:49 »
Here are couple of pix of knee fliers - file has been reduced thanks to help from GrannieAnnie! So here goes - 2 pix , one with teamug for scale and one of tree (some of it)
DSCN3865 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN3869 (600 x 450).jpg

catllar

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 17:10 »
Duplicate message toGrannie Annie: Thanks for the site, which we downloaded easily - even I can use it! Not so easy replying to your email message to me  though, so a) hope you got it, b) thanks here again, c) is there an idiot-proof way to reply to messages off-forum?? This pic-reducer will help me a lot when sending photos from here to family and friends

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 18:34 »
here you go ..it's a Loquat :D

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Loquat

some uses here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A23708487

sounds yummy :)

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 37 queries.