herons?

• 7 Replies

wildwitchy

herons?
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:53 »
Had a heron try to swoop down into the pond about an hour ago.. It only got as far as landing on the coop and i chased it off.. Can herons attack/kill ducklings? The chickens went balmy & Adolf had a mad rare crowing fit.  :ohmy:

I'm worried now about it taking one of my ducklings off -  they are quite big but still babies  (3-4 weeks old).

Thanks..

xxx

themagicaltoad1

Re: herons?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 13:25 »
If they can be taken by crows and magpies I should think they would be no problem for a heron, but would it be interested? I thought they were fish eaters unlike Crow's & Magpies which are carrion birds.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 17:18 »
Unfortunately herons will eat little ducklings - and frogs.  Not sure when big enough is safe ....   :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

madcat

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 17:20 »

Alec

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 17:21 »
Yes Herons will certainly take ducklings.Where i live near the Dee estuary,during the spring high tides .Herons can be seen taking water rail.Which are flushed out by the rising water.Water rails are a secretive wader type bird approx 11ins slightly smaller than a water hen.
It is possible the heron was only interested in your other pond life but i would watch them closely as with all omnivorous birds,they will take an easy meal if one presents itself.-Best wishes -Alec

Sparkle

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 17:29 »
I have also seen photos of a heron eating a what looked to be quite a large rabbit aswell (although I think that is the exception and not the rule!) so I agree and would be vigilant with your ducklings!
Sparx

wildwitchy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 18:44 »
I had a look at the pictures - thankyou matcat for that. They are good photos..  I'm worried now that it will come back now it knows where I am & all my little babies...  :( :mad:

I haven't got any fish in the pond. i couldn't get over how big the damn thing was.. It was like a flying dinosaur!  :ohmy:

oooh.  >:( :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 19:04 »
you may have to put netting or tape (the sort that police n work men use over your garden to help discourage it. Some people use plastic eagle owls to help scare birds away  - we had them at the country park in one of the rowing boats the fishermen used when fly fishing (to stop birds pooing in the boats), didn't work though as they got used to them and sat on their heads pooing away  :lol: :lol: so we still had to clean the boats every day  >:(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Page created in 0.648 seconds with 29 queries.