Mint and Lemon Balm

• 31 Replies

pippy001

Mint and Lemon Balm
« on: April 17, 2007, 20:37 »
Just come back for an other session on the plot.  Each time we go we find more stuff.  This time it was mint and lemon balm, the only down side is neither of these 2 plants were kept in a pot so it has spread all down the bottom of the plot.  i plan on digging up as much as i can and putting it in pots.  i'll have to try and get rid of the straggler bits.

since i've started this my right elbow has been hurting.  am i doing something wrong when i'm digging?

Very confused, Pippy :roll:  :roll:  :?
I may not do it right first time, but I do it with style

cozzcov

Mint and Lemon Balm
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 20:46 »
hope you aren't trying to do too much in one go.   little and often is the best way.

pippy001

Mint and Lemon Balm
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 20:50 »
i was only there for about half an hour today.  don't think i'm going to get down much over the next week.  back at work (boo) and got rellys coming to us for the weekend.  I'll take them down to show the place off but i don't think they'll be interested in staying for too long.

We found a newt in the pond too.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Mint and Lemon Balm
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 20:51 »
Not holding your spade/fork to tight are you ?
Holding things too tight can bring on tennis elbow etc or so I'm told
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

cozzcov

Mint and Lemon Balm
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 20:57 »
Doesn't sound good that in just 30mins your elbow is aching - hope its not a knock-on effect from something you do at work and not the dreaded RSI.  
If you are new to all the digging etc it might just be your body warning you to take it easy and get someone else to do it for you  :wink:

On a positive note, great to hear about the newt and I hope the pond is going to stay and be cared for as well as the plot.  Sounds like somewhere nice to sit and ponder after a day on the plot.

WG.

Re: Mint and Lemon Balm
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 21:02 »
Quote from: "pippy001"
mint and lemon balm, the only down side is neither of these 2 plants were kept in a pot so it has spread all down the bottom of the plot.  i plan on digging up as much as i can and putting it in pots.  i'll have to try and get rid of the straggler bits.

I think you'll find that Lemon Balm will self-seed even if it is in a pot.  In fact, I don't reckon it has runners like mint but will spread by taking root whenever a stem is in contact with the soil.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Mint and Lemon Balm
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 08:46 »
Be Careful with your elbow ,I had a tennis elbow prob last summer , it took ages to go away, mine was from overworking the elbow joint -sawing branches !

Best to rest from whatever is causing it, could be that you are doing too much without getting your muscles warmed up first !

I found a heat pad eased the ache/pain .

See if you can get someone else to do the heavy work, be careful with hoeing too ,any action where there is continual bending of the joint will make it worse.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

wellingtons

Yep ...
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 09:54 »
... whisky is right.  Lemon balm is a self seeder, not a runner, so in a way it is more difficult to get rid of than mint!

I have lemon balm in my garden at home and not at the allotment, but I have several different types of mint at home and a couple at the allotment.

And this year for the first time in years I have corsican mint exactly where I wanted it in the first place!  I planted it in front of the pergola and it has self seeded every flaming where in amongst the pebbles and cracks in the paving, but where I wanted it.  Now it has finally migrated back!

I'm not complaining really it's the one mint that isn't really invasive and I adore it.

WG.

Mint and Lemon Balm
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 10:04 »
Thanks for confirming, wellies.   Have you got any nice mints that I might be able to trade for some smoked garlic??   I am looking for chocolate mint, pineapple mint, apple mint and especially the new type of mint they are selling as an oral contraceptive.

wellingtons

I've got apple mint ...
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 11:05 »
... and I think I've got chocolate mint too.  Will check and happily pop up bit in the post.  I owe you anyway ...  :D

No idea about a new one as an oral contraceptive.  Is it a particuarly stinking one that you hold between your teef and it puts your partner right off??

WG.

oral contraceptive
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 11:13 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
No idea about a new one as an oral contraceptive.  Is it a particuarly stinking one that you hold between your teef and it puts your partner right off??

No, it should be taken by the woman one hour before coitus.  It is called predickamint …. …. …

Don’t worry Aunty, I am already on my way to the naughty step without being told.

pippy001

Mint and Lemon Balm
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 12:30 »
Hi

i'll warm up before i start and i'll get 'he who thinks he must be obayed but i take no notice of' to do the grunt work.

the pond is beeing kept, it was the deciding factor for the allotment which we picked (we eactually had a choise).

WG, i'm in a new office today and i've burst out laughting at your predickamint, and now they're looking at me like i'm a loon.  :oops:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Mint and Lemon Balm
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 16:36 »
Just a word of warning ladies pennyroyal mint has been known to cause miscarriage, you probably know that but just in case.

Wouldn't want anybody to go through that dreadful experience  :cry:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Mint and Lemon Balm
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 17:14 »
i was only there for about half an hour today.  don't think i'm going to get down much over the next week.  back at work (boo) and got rellys coming to us for the weekend.  I'll take them down to show the place off but i don't think they'll be interested in staying for too long.

We found a newt in the pond too.

When you take the rellies down to show off your plot, just stick a spade in their hands and say "well while you're here......."

WG.

Mint and Lemon Balm
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 20:17 »
WG, i'm in a new office today and i've burst out laughting

I hope my joke didn't get you fired then !!   :shock:

clip
Lemon Balm

Started by Hitman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 28, 2015, 06:28
by robinahood
xx
Lemon Balm

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 10:32
by blackbob
xx
lemon balm?

Started by asd1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 10:40
by Christine
xx
Who was it that hates Lemon Balm?

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 16:25
by sunshineband

Page created in 1.646 seconds with 36 queries.