skinny sweetcorn

• 16 Replies

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
skinny sweetcorn
« on: July 06, 2009, 21:37 »
This is my first time growing sweetcorn and would welcome any advice.  My plants are approx 2ft, very pale, skinny and weedy looking, but each has two cobs starting to grow and thicken up nicely.  All other plots on our site are sporting beautifully thick set, dark green leafy plants that are quickly heading for the skies, though I can't see any sign of cobs setting.  I can't understand why my plants look so bad but are producing good looking cobs so early.  What are everyone elses plants doing???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: skinny sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 21:41 »
Mine are about 5ft and the wafty bits are starting to grow out of the top, but i've still not cot any cobs growing from lower to be pollinated :blink: Think they had better hurry up, the tops are growing at an alarming rate. They look a nice dark green and healthy, so i trust they will sort themselves out in time :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 21:45 »
(Wafty bits = tassles) :tongue2:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 21:46 »
Mine are still only few inches high think I got no hope  :lol:
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 00:19 »
mine are only about 2ft tall but quite think.... they seem th have grown a lot in last couple of weeks though no sign of anything yet

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 01:16 »
Did you get them in later than the rest of the site? Even a couple of weeks can make a difference. They are starting to thicken up nicely as you say, so carry on doing what you are doing (with maybe a feed or two) and perhaps support them with canes

Im a second season SC grower, but mine were fine last year and didnt get to a big hefty growth before delivery.  In fact I picked too early as I had a lack of confidence
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

blue_cortina

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:44 »
Did you get them in later than the rest of the site? Even a couple of weeks can make a difference. They are starting to thicken up nicely as you say, so carry on doing what you are doing (with maybe a feed or two) and perhaps support them with canes

What kind of feed would you use for SC ?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 08:49 »
I use Miracle grow for most things

Carol

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 09:30 »
Mine went very pale after planting out.  I gave them some fish blood and bone and some comfrey tea and they have now greened up and filled out nicely. 
Carol.
Carol - aiming for organicness.

lauren

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 11:09 »
Mine were only about 2/3 foot tall when the flower at the top started showing a few weeks ago.  They have now suddenly shot up and are mostly about 5 foot tall with 2 cobs each.  Although I did plant them a bit close and am worried that the cobs lower down will not get pollinated as covered a bit by leaves  :(

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 13:36 »
Thanks for all the comments.  I have fed them with a seaweed based feed a couple of times.  I was hoping for more height to add a bit of privacy next to my seating area, but as the cobs are looking good i can't complain.  The whole bed does look great mixed with calendula and sunflowers and has received lots of compliments :blush:

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 15:44 »
Thanks for all the comments.  I have fed them with a seaweed based feed a couple of times.  I was hoping for more height to add a bit of privacy next to my seating area, but as the cobs are looking good i can't complain.  The whole bed does look great mixed with calendula and sunflowers and has received lots of compliments :blush:

Any chance of a piccie then?  ;)

On a related note...my patch has been hit and miss, some of the plants died leaving 'missed bits' in the grid (Think they got scorched by the sun?) Can the plants be moved at all to fill in the missing bits - ie. taking the odd ones from the outside of the grid and placing them in the gaps? It also looks like one of the paper pots must have had 2 seeds in as there's 2 plants in one station....ooh its all a bit of a mess!! lol!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 16:17 »
Do not attempt to move them!!

Sweetcorn hates disturbance at the best of times, let alone at this stage of the season.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 16:38 »
Mine are only about two foot, no sign of any cobs yet, they are about loo roll tube thickness but they arent very dark green like people mentioned below  :mellow:

what colour green are we talking mine are pale  :wacko:

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 21:08 »
Do not attempt to move them!!

OK OK OK!! lol!  ;)

It's just the neatness...ooh I'd love them in a nice neat block! lmao!

xx
Skinny rhubarb

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 25, 2017, 11:07
by Auntiemogs
xx
Skinny leeks

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 22:10
by Madame Cholet
xx
Skinny Robin

Started by Trikidiki on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 17:02
by Dopey113
xx
Skinny leeks

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 15:03
by JayG

Page created in 0.687 seconds with 38 queries.