my 1/2 a plot with photos

• 9 Replies

finty22

my 1/2 a plot with photos
« on: July 06, 2009, 18:02 »
Hi
Update on my little 1/2 a plot that I have had since 1st May ... so far had a bowl of spuds which is quite an achievement for a complete novice. Parts of the lottie had been worked last year, but the whole site is only 3 years old, so it was basically a patch of weeds.
... its also an opportunity for some of the more experienced amongst you to laff at my school boy error ... have FIVE courgette plants and theres only TWO of us ... oops

Our plot only goes to the compost area ... i.e the pallets ... I will be well impressed if the photos are attached!!

Many thanks for answering my stupid questions too .. this forum is ace!

Beetroot queen

Re: my 1/2 a plot with photos
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 18:15 »
I'd be very happy with five courgette plants we eat tonnes of them, as a family we eat about 10 a week at least  ???

all looks very good and flat, unlike ours

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 18:50 »
Looking good, well done  :D

10 courgettes a week?  :blink: :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 18:54 »
Looking good, well done  :D

10 courgettes a week?  :blink: :D

I do have five to feed, plus two more if I declare that courgette cakes are on the menu, I use alot in soups. We love courgettes and I am so sick of paying supermarket prices  :blush:

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 20:21 »
Looking good, Flinty, considering where you started from. It all takes time as all of we experienced gardeners can tell you. We've had to work our plots/gardens for years to get them to good tilth. Few people walk onto a site with really great loam. Keep it up and the results will keep getting better. Soon you'll be crying that you need a bigger plot  ;)

finty22

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 20:32 »
thanks ... oh how right you are .... when we started I thought that I would never want a whole plot, but am starting to think that if my neighbour ever leaves I'd like to take it on ... there is just something nice about spending an hour or two down there .... the soil is shocking ... its sort of a clay but with soooooo many stones ... and not small ones either and the more we take out the more we find ... but i'm in no rush

;-)

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 20:35 »
Looks great  ;)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 20:38 »
I've been intensively cleaning up my own clay soil for 6 years and I still pull out rocks that need 2 people to lift and wonder how I could possibly have missed those the last 6 years. I'd swear that rocks throw off rock seeds. But it's slowly getting better as you'll find. If nothing else, gardening is great for lowering blood pressure (unless you get hit with blight, rust, vandals, birds, whatever  :D)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 20:46 »
A-ha, one of my useful bits of knowledge from school  :)

Frost heave brings larger stones to the surface constantly.  Water is in the tiny gaps below the stone; during frosty times the water freezes and thus expands, forcing the stone higher.  When the water thaws, tiny silt etc particles drop back into the enlarged gap, so the stone stays at its newer level.  And repeat.  Ad infinitum  :happy:

farmersue

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 20:54 »
A-ha, one of my useful bits of knowledge from school  :)

Frost heave brings larger stones to the surface constantly.  Water is in the tiny gaps below the stone; during frosty times the water freezes and thus expands, forcing the stone higher.  When the water thaws, tiny silt etc particles drop back into the enlarged gap, so the stone stays at its newer level.  And repeat.  Ad infinitum  :happy:
Thank you! I always wondered why new stones / rocks kept appearing. Now i know!  :)

xx
Photos of the Plot at last!

Started by littlemisssunshine on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 19, 2007, 22:23
by Calou
xx
my veg plot photos

Started by babe on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 15:21
by paintedlady
xx
photos of my plot

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 28, 2008, 17:14
by crowndale
xx
New allotment plot photos

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2014, 14:43
by Elm street

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 28 queries.