why do people bother?

• 4 Replies

lisa80

why do people bother?
« on: July 06, 2009, 18:01 »
Hello all am very cross due to the fact people in our village have been dumping their rubbish on our now huge what was going to be bonfire.Me and oh watched a man on sunday who hasnt even got a plot walk down with a wheel barrow of rubbish and dump it.!!!!its getting inceasingly hard to get parish council to do anything about getting rid of it and the bigger it gets the harder it gets.Talking to the old boys this is common practice for some village residents surely it can be classed as fly tipping? i feel a  letter to parish council coming on!!! on another matter im sure ive said before that we have alot of plots not being looked after, our village had an open gardens this weekend and lo and behold all absent plot holders appeared to mow and tidy, nevermind the fact most of what they had planted had now gone to waste!!!!, we dont have a large waiting list. However if you do take on a plot i feel you should look after it not just turn up to tidy when contrct is due for renewal.I understand people have busy lives but then why not down size to a half plot or ask for help? the plot next to us was 6 feet tall in weeds that were just coming into flower my oh phoned the person in question and offered to strim it for him he did do it himself in the end but now is just a field of grass and will stay like that till next year  what a waste im sure somene would be glad of the plot but im sure the guy has no intention of giving it up!!!! sorry for long rant feel better now got that of my chest!!!!!!!!

Beetroot queen

Re: why do people bother?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 18:27 »
We noticed the on site skip the council put on the site had been filled with off site rubbish including a scooter, pram and large rug, not for the rubbish etc etc of the plots. its always the few who spoil it.

We are having a heated debate with the council today due to the fact they have let the hedge bordering our plot over grow and it now shades the back half of the beds. we have been asking for months and months and today they finally got back to us, apparently they cant cut them back as they think we have birds nesting in them. Hubbys reply was well if you had cut them back in the winter when we asked you wouldnt have had nests to worry about would you  :mad:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 18:48 »
What a frustrating situation lisa  >:(

Yes it's flytipping.  I'd also ask the council what their inspection system for the site is - shouldn't just be once a year at renewal time.  I walk round the site whose list I manage at least once a month at this time of year.  People who just do enough to avoid getting kicked off but who do not actually garden anything annoy me - others are hoping for the chance to garden but don't get it  :mad:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sean Kelly

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 20:02 »
I guess we're really lucky as ours are completely fenced in and barb wired, it does limit local hooligans jumping over to smash green houses and shed windows to about once a year.
I am experiencing the "next door" problem so I feel for you.
We were both lucky enough to get hold of plots on a local site this year(waiting lists are upto 70 down here!). Our neighbour got a half plot next to our full plot in February this year, they could have both yielded about 20 tonnes of blackberries and hadnt been touched in years! We both made a real effort but just lately next door have allowed the weeds to take over and its irritating when you see all your hard work being enveloped by a sea of brambles, couch grass and nettles oh and the dreaded marestail.
Complain to whoever will listen.

lisa80

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 21:10 »
It does state in our contracts that if our plot is left un attended for a clear month they hold the right to take plot back .They never exercise this tho.Also the reason the parish council wont remove dump is because animals could be living in there they were suposed  to set fire to it 2 yrs ago but cant now due to paint cans etc being put on there.My oh thinks that most of these people only got an allotment so they can brag to there peers in the city about it for instance the 6 ft weed guy recently wrote a article about his wonderful allotment!!!!!!!!!thro talking to people on plot they have come down for a day dug a small patch then left it for rest of the season for the past too yrs talk about cheek :) :) :)

xx
Why bother ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 15:03
by julieanne1811
xx
Won't bother with that again

Started by seanandde on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 07:45
by kevinp
xx
oh bother!!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 10:19
by Paul Plots
xx
brussels bother

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 20:11
by hiccup

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 36 queries.