Wish I'd thought the raised beds through more...

• 4 Replies

elibump

Wish I'd thought the raised beds through more...
« on: July 06, 2009, 16:36 »
Just been to pick things from my legumes raised bed, suddenly realised that I hadn't planned this properly and thought I'd tell you all in case my discovery helps others.

There are 4 rows in my raised bed going along the long side of the bed, in the rows I'd planted
 1/2 row kelvedon wonder peas)
1/2 row mange tout                   )  with support fencing
1 row purple king french beans
1 row canadian wonder red kidney beans
1 row nickel french beans

Had I planted the supported peas/mange tout and the canadian wonder in the middle 2 rows I wouldn't be having the trouble I am to reach over the supports & pick the ordinary french beans or reach over the canadian wonder (which need much longer time to develop) to get to them from the other side.

Having said that, I don't suppose anyone else here would have been daft enough not to work this out for themselves  ::)
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

manna

Re: Wish I'd thought the raised beds through more...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 18:36 »
I always plant the veg that are going to grow the highest at the back of the raised bed, as it were, and then plant in order of decreasing size. e.g. in my legume bed I have 1st planting french beans, 2nd planting french beans, sugar snaps, bush beans and asparagus peas. also plant in short rows depending on where the sun is, so that the sun is shining along the row as much as possible, not a full frontal shine at the expense of the rows behind, if you know what I mean. hope that helps!

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 20:24 »
Elibump, it's all part of the gardener's learning curve. Do it once wrong, and you'll never do it wrong again.  :D I still can't resist the temptation to put in 2 parallel rows of peas in my narrow raised beds until it comes picking time....and I can't get into the centre. C'est la vie!

elibump

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:25 »
Elibump, it's all part of the gardener's learning curve. Do it once wrong, and you'll never do it wrong again.  :D I still can't resist the temptation to put in 2 parallel rows of peas in my narrow raised beds until it comes picking time....and I can't get into the centre. C'est la vie!

D'accord  :) :)

Allotment Jon

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:15 »
I do not think that it is a case of being daft, it the value you get from what you have learnt that is important.

I am now in my second year and still a lot of things to learn. I benefit from only a small allotment with fewer people so we all tend to talk to each other and if in doubt ask questions if we are not sure. I make a note on all my mistakes and look forward to getting a more productive crop the following year.

All good fun but hard work.

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
raised beds

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2014, 11:09
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Raised Beds

Started by ij rowley on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 17:21
by fletcherbaker
xx
RAISED BEDS??

Started by NATHAN on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 11, 2007, 15:06
by Trillium

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 36 queries.