wasps nest - am i mad

• 12 Replies

darcyhen

wasps nest - am i mad
« on: July 06, 2009, 15:05 »
Hi,
Not sure if this the right forum for this but here goes.
I want to know if i am mad for trying to do this and not calling in someone.
I have a wasps nest in a little three sided 'house' in the garden. It's big - one foot square- though it's not square!
It's actually not been a problem and although there's a regular line of wasps flying in and out they haven't stung anyone yet, even when i've walk across the path and 'bumped' into them.
However, i am concerned that it's going to get bigger and they may swarm and therefore it is dangerous. i have three children that play in the garden.
So, I have cleared the area underneath and bought a wasp nest destroyer spray. I have borrowed my friend's beekeepers suit and plan to do it tonight probably about 9ish when they will all be in the nest.
So, has anyone else done this and was it okay or were there any problems?
thanks
michelle

Beejay

• Experienced Member
Re: wasps nest - am i mad
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 15:12 »
Get in touch with your local council and they will advise you or sort it!
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

darcyhen

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 16:12 »
i've called council and they will charge me £50+VAT or offer free advice. I've asked for the free advice. Dont really want to spend £50+ if job is not dangerous... i do have the beekeeping suit!
Michelle

poppies

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 16:28 »
Hi have you tried a private pest controller we were charged £30 to remove a wasp nest  and he came back later to check they were all gone

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 16:56 »
unless you are totally totally certain multiple wasp stings will not endanger life do not attempt to do this yourself. My wife collapsed after two stings and I had to rush her to A&E, unconscious for three hours and she now carries an emergency syringe at all times. Wasp stings can kill certain people.
R

gillie

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 17:25 »
I have used wasps' nest destroyer sprays several times.  You don't have to get very close, just aim at the nest and fire!  I did not wear anything special and I did not get stung.  Provided you have a clear aim at the nest it is very effective.  When I had to destroy a nest which I could not see somewhere inside a roof I had to have several goes.

Gillie

lisa80

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 18:14 »
we paid £47 to get rid of ours and the guy came back 3 times to check they were gone ! it was outside my 2 yr old bedroom window but i thought was very good of them to do a thoro job :)

Ropster

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 19:11 »
I have used nest destroying spray as well, the wasps didnt get a chance to get near as they were covered in foam

savbo

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 19:28 »
i did it three times in our old house, no prob if you're sensible, follow instructions and have a clear escape route!

M

darcyhen

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 21:14 »
Well... had a go. The stuff was easy to spray though i had to stand on a chair to make sure the cannister was fairly upright.
Only prob was that the foam kept falling off. Went back ten mins later. Couldn't get too good a look because of where it is but it looked like loads were dead on the floor with the foam and bits of the 'hive'. There were lots of them flying around so i obviously haven't got all of them.
Scarey bit will be tomorrow as i shall have to knock whatever is left of it from the ceiling into bag. Just hope nothing live around or in it.
Hopefully they will go somewhere else now. Feel a bit mean really as they weren't a problem at the mo... but it was a big nest so i am sure it would have been a problem at some point.
Thanks for all the advice.
michelle

gillie

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 21:34 »
I would give them another spray tommorrow, just to make sure.

Gillie

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 21:50 »
Afraid it wouldn't be me I'm absolutely terrified of wasps  :blush:
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 23:37 »

Leave the nest alone until no live wasps are evident before you touch it. This may take a day or two. It does not matter wether you remove the nest or not. If they are dead they are dead and will not regenerate. If you do remove the nest keep in mind that you have applied a poison.

In my opinion wasps are dangerous in a garden, especially with young children around and should always be destroyed. They may not be a problem most of the time but if the nest is diturbed they may attack in vast numbers.

My local council refers you to a private contractor. The £30-£50 that they charge is worth the money if you are not confident when handling poisons or dealing with angry wasps. A garage will charge you this per hour to fix a car!

The foam is good stuff. I have used it to deal with a nest in my porch roof with the entrance under an overhang.

If the entrance is accessable buy a cheap powder that you tip round the entrance at dawn or dusk when the wasps are inactive. As the wasps come in and out they carry it into the nest and kill the queen and brood as well as themselves.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 23:44 by Salmo »

xx
Wasps' Nest

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2018, 11:33
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Wasps making a nest in the ground

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 15, 2022, 16:11
by Anton
xx
Wasps?

Started by Siouxfly on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 16:51
by raisedbed
xx
WASPS

Started by nickthegreek on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 16:46
by Greengirl

Page created in 0.825 seconds with 36 queries.