Is it too late to sow broccolli and cauliflower in the plot?

• 5 Replies

DOTTY LOTTY

??? Is it too late to try and sow broccoli and cauliflower? I had sown broccolli but it was all eaten as soon as it emerged! I really wanted to grow cauliflower but as this is my first year of having an allotment, I have been so busy clearing and growing other veg, I forgot. Also eveything is growing in no plan at all - is that ok for first year? Can I plan crop rotation for next year?

I would appeciate any advice.

kel28

Im no expert but my method is stick it in and if it grows result if not try next year! My nursery is still selling cauli to plant so cant see why not. I have had my allot just over 2 yr now and the 1st year was a bit like yourself, find a space and plant something. If everything grows well and no diseases appear dont worry bout crop rotation till next yr and your sorted but if you plant potatoes, cabbages, tom etc in the same space too many yrs on the trot you may run into trouble. So straighten it all up then worry bout things like that for now find a space, plant and fingers crossed!!!
kem

DOTTY LOTTY

:)Hi Kel, Thanks for the advice, I will go to my local nursery to see if they have any prtly grown to give me a head start. Will also try some broccolli seeds in my window sill, as I am finding things get eaten unless they are a bit strurdy. Will plan beds and rotation for next year then. Thanks again.
Dotty Lotty.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
I've just sown my cauliflower for overwintering. (Winter Pilgrim).

I wouldn't grow them on the window sill, they don't like it too warm. This can lead to leginess & bolting.

The seeds I mentioned took just 3 days in the open, (one seed to a module), to emerge.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DOTTY LOTTY

DD,
Thanks, I wont put on window sill then - Did you sow them into the ground or modules? Are the modules outside? Also do you protect them from slugs? Thanks L.D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
As I said in the last line of my post, they are outside, one seed to a module.

No need for slug protection, they are standing on the rough tarmac driveway which the slugs stay away from.

xx
BROCCOLLI

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 22:07
by compostqueen
xx
Advice on Broccolli

Started by argonaut on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 19:30
by realfood
xx
broccolli cover

Started by belto on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 09:28
by Rob the rake
xx
flowering broccolli

Started by greenstan77 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 22:21
by DD.

Page created in 0.859 seconds with 36 queries.