rasberries and birds

• 13 Replies

Grubbypaws

rasberries and birds
« on: July 06, 2009, 09:33 »
I am thinking of growing rasberries and am just about to buy the trellis; do I need netting? I have read that birds do not like rasberries but find it hard to believe. Is it true?

Many Thanks

Janeymiddlewife

Re: rasberries and birds
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 09:38 »
I am thinking of growing rasberries and am just about to buy the trellis; do I need netting? I have read that birds do not like rasberries but find it hard to believe. Is it true?

Many Thanks

YES birds like most berries - they're not fussed!

You can drape net curtain over them, but it's a bit of a pain to take off for harvesting - if you are growing a lot of rasps then a more permanent structure that you can walk under might be easier.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 09:49 »
Thank you, it didnt seem likely that my sparrows would turn their beaks up at nice juicy rasberries!

The info came from  http://www.organicgardener.com/plants-shrubs/growing-rasberries.htm

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:02 »
Harrods have an excellent design for raspberry supports for both single and double rows. Easy to copy if you do not want to buy. The pole along the top keeps the posts from leaning inwards so you need no props.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/pages/search/search.asp?txtSearch=raspberry&submitflag=true&ctgry=Harrod&serial=09070635853592868&x=13&y=5

Birds go mad for raspberries and will fly at the net to get them. Autumn varieties are often safe, maybe because there are plenty of other berries about then.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:17 by Salmo »

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:13 »
I have had had six raspberries of my three rows this year, the birds have enjoyed the rest!  :( :D

I'll be building a fruit cage for next year.

Stan160

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 12:30 »
I've grown Autumn Bliss for the last two summers, and never seen any evidence of birds eating berries despite no netting or bird scarers, but the Glen Prosen I planted last summer have been well and truly attacked since the fruit started ripening about a month ago.

Only thing I can think of is that I'm on a large allotment site and maybe by the time Autumn Bliss gets into its stride there is so much choice for the birds that they can't keep up!

Ian

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 13:58 »
Birds are a major problem on our site,mainly jackdaws and rooks and ive to net most things,but they dont really bother the raspberries for some reason,blackbirds take some but i can live with losing a few.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 15:11 »
Stan, do you recommend Autumn Bliss? I am trying to find a good raspberry to grow. Polka sounds good on the T&M site but doesnt seem to have any awards.

Stan160

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 15:48 »
I haven't had great success with raspberries so far.  My parents' Autumn Bliss (where my canes came from) grow very well, yield vast quantities of berries and are constantly trying to take over the top of their garden.

Mine are a bit weedy, and some canes tend to die off during the summer before fruiting.  More canes grow but the yield is disappointing.  Each winter I dig in grow more and bone meal, and once the new canes emerge, keep them watered when the ground dries out, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!

Having said that, the fruit I get is very tasty, and cropping season is from mid July right around to the first heavy frost.  One of my allotment neighbours recommended Polka, which is a new variety bred from Autumn Bliss with an earlier start to the fruiting season and heavier yield.

Ian

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 15:50 »
I'm very happy with my Autumn Bliss, they crop very well AND as had been said - the birds leave them alone!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 20:34 »
I'm in my own garden and am forever chasing out thieving robins, grackles, bluejays and starlings who love my raspberries  >:( The little b*ggars land on the grass and walk into the patch to help themselves. Definitely throwing netting over the top now that the strawberries are finished.

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 23:46 »
I have very polite birds on my lotty i net none of my fruit and only seem to lose any when i'm picking they come over and help themselves from the ones i've picked but mainly wait for the ones that i throw them. Also stan160 dont dig around the roots as they are shallow rooting i only dig to thin out otherwise i just put some general fertiliser on surface then cover with 2" layer of compost or well rotted manure

Christine

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 08:53 »
I'm with meterman on the way I treat my raspberries. They have taken some time to settle in but it's a good year this year.

Stan160

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 14:09 »
All I do is rake off the old wood chipping mulch, add fertilizer and scratch in to the top couple of cm of soil with a hand fork, then apply fresh wood chippings. 

Don't remember seeing any roots, but maybe it was enough disturbance to cause a problem.

xx
Rasberries!!

Started by Katt on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2006, 09:22
by John
xx
Rasberries

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 16:42
by andtiggertoo
xx
RASBERRIES HELP

Started by KIM200 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2006, 18:54
by noshed
xx
Rasberries

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 21:30
by Kristen

Page created in 0.708 seconds with 37 queries.