Squirrel

• 5 Replies

Janschooks

Squirrel
« on: July 05, 2009, 15:23 »
The girls just made a lot of noise, which they usually do after laying. When I went out to them, there was a squirrel being chased by the girls, they did manage to get a few pecks in when it missed it's grip and landed in the little shrub in there  :D and got out again before I got in. The girls were none the worse for it and happily tucked into their mixed corn I'd bought them. I don't think it will try that again, but being new to chicken keeping, what are the dangers involved with the squirrel getting in there? Will it be after the eggs/food? do they carry anything the girls might catch? I know they are rodents, will they hurt/attack the girls?
Thanks in advance
Jan

Flowerpower136

Re: Squirrel
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:15 »
Don't think they'd harm the girls, but will be after their food and possibly eggs.
We have a lot of them round here and have just built our hen pen with them in mind as much as the fox, it looks like a high security prison,  but needs must.

parson

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 17:31 »
We are plagued by grey squirrells. They come down from the woods behind our house to raid the wild bird feeders, dig up the bulbs from the pots, and have destroyed the felt on my shed roof! The best answer to them we have found is a .22 air-rifle aimed from the bedroom window!

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 20:23 »
Told my lady plot neighbour I'd seen a grey squirrel on her plot. 'Oh lovely' she said, 'I do like squirrels!'
'Yes so do I, preferably barbecued!'
She keeps giving me nasty looks! :D

Janschooks

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 08:19 »
Thanks all,
The way they went for it I didn't think it would harm the girls  :ohmy:

It's getting in at one corner where the roof mesh isn't quite nailed down well. I'll be re-doing the roof when the sun returns.

Thanks Jan

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:48 »
Squirrels will take the eggs. I would think, as you have seen, that adult chooks will be fine but I would not trust young chicks with a squirrel!!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 37 queries.