When will potatoes be ready?

• 2 Replies

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
When will potatoes be ready?
« on: July 05, 2009, 15:10 »
My first time growing potatoes, so please be patient with me.  On the 26 April, after chitting, I planted Anya and International Kidney potatoes.  Should I dig the tubers up when flowers appear, when the flowers die or should I count the weeks since the date of planting - if this be the case how many weeks should pass before they are ready.  I was going to gently dig one plant to see, but have read an article that said by doing this, a void would be left in the soil and could cause potato blight, so don't want this to happen.  Any advice at this stage would be helpful.  All look healthy, so far so good.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: When will potatoes be ready?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 15:17 »
We all furtle round to see if they are ready.............never heard the bit about leaving a void, but don't see how you would anyway. Just scrape the soil away till you get some idea of what's there. If ok dig some up........if not put the soil back over them, pat down and water and wait a bit longer...no probs at all :)
Flowering is n indication that tubers may be forming, but have a look to see is the easiest i think :D
Good luck

mountainvicar

Re: When will potatoes be ready?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 18:16 »
I put some Kidny been in at the same time as you in bags... flowers are mostly all open but they are quite ready yet.... I plan tohave an0ther try next weekend or so.

Your'smight be diferent though...so the only way to know forsure is to have a fuddel :) 

xx
When are my potatoes ready?

Started by green bean on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 21:30
by Grubbypaws
xx
Potatoes - Are they Ready ???

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 15:18
by arugula
xx
new potatoes ready for eating

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 19:11
by WG.
question
when are potatoes ready to lift

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 19:03
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 38 queries.