Garlic curling !

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

Garlic curling !
« on: July 04, 2009, 10:51 »
Sorry to ask what maybe a stupid question, but I have never grown garlic before, and it has thrown up round stems, from right out of the plant centres, which are curling round in corkscrew spirals, with an oval shaped pod about 4 inches from the top end.

Is this going to be the flower (or what) and should I take it out ? (is it going to drain the strength away from bulb production)  Your help is appreciated, regards, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

Re: Garlic curling !
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:38 »
That'll be the garlic scape.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Gardenfork/videos/3/

Off with its head  :D

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 18:52 »
Thanks Lardman for your answer, I thought it probably was the flower.  We have just watch the link, and its exactly that, so tomorrow, off they come, and into the BBQ they go.   Thats interesting about the S.S. to remove the smell, should you rub ones tongue with it as well.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyway, thanks again for your trouble, regards, Mrs Bouquet

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 19:57 »
You're welcome - I'm just regurgitating what I've read on here  :D

Let us know what you thought of them - I wasn't overly impressed with mine. I found them a little sharp and they had a little of that green taste even when chopped and used in garlic butter. I must admit I didn't try them BBQ'd though.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 20:41 »
Well, there you go, we picked them off, and the raw bite was exactly the same as the man said, suddenly a big kick in the back of the throat, and oh boy! are they strong, but lovely, anyway, we cooked ours tonight as he said on the BBQ, and they are delicious.   (I don't expect anybody will talk to us for a week, but, hey do I care.  They are seriously gorgeous).  Has nobody else ever had these  'scapes' I have never heard mention of them before.   But I am glad we've got them  !!!!!. Thanks again, Mrs Bouquet

Mythi

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:31 »
Has nobody else ever had these  'scapes' I have never heard mention of them before.   But I am glad we've got them  !!!!!. Thanks again, Mrs Bouquet

I used the scapes in a stir fry, they were delicious.  Will definitely try them BBQ'd next year.

xx
curling leaf on cuc

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 08:56
by mashbintater
clip
Wilting, curling ... sad anyway

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2014, 15:59
by pigguns
xx
leaves curling

Started by seanandde on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 20:53
by Tapper
xx
Curling Cabbage

Started by Terry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 21:41
by DD.

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 36 queries.