What a year so far!

• 2 Replies

Melanie_one

What a year so far!
« on: July 03, 2009, 20:01 »
This year has been exceptional so far, I can't even keep up with picking the sweet peas! The strawberries are excelling themselves and I have been able to give loads away. I have been using the scaffolding net for my brassica’s for the past two years and the results have been amazing! I don't get troubled by caterpillars and I am the one who gets to eat the greens. All my gooseberry bushes are collapsing under the weight of the fruit and the loganberry is just smothered. I think the only problem so far has been the watering, and boy has that been a problem every evening after work. I do have to confess that my allotment does have a patio, shed also a greenhouse and I even have a garden bench but the patio was there when I took it over. I use the patio for container growing, water buts and cold frames so it isn't really a waste of space. We have several types of tomatoes and some very special lettuce that one of the other allotment holders gave us. Our runner beans have gone over the top of the Harris fencing and the sweet corn won't be long now. We have eaten salads most days this last fortnight just to keep up with the lettuce and radishes. Well I did say that it had been a good year, what an understatement!!!
Melanie

home made pie

• Experienced Member
Re: What a year so far!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 22:22 »
I have been able to give loads away

Ooo I never do that, nobody I know is worthy enough, what we can't eat fast enough gets frozen  ;)  :blush:  :lol:

Yep I'm also loving it at the moment, it's full on, everything is growing like mad, turn my back for 5 minutes and another tomato side shoot appears ! loads ready and nearly ready, loads just started...phew  :)

Paul Plots

Re: What a year so far!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 22:45 »
I agree - so far it's been pretty good.... despite the extra watering!

If only the huge, fat pigeons would stop landing on my two plum trees and breaking branches I'd been very happy indeed!  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Page created in 1.217 seconds with 36 queries.