ARAUCANAS - what do the cockerals look like please????

• 35 Replies

Chookster

• Experienced Member
I bought '3 hens' but i have a really strong feeling that one is a cock. They're all about 13 weeks old and sound like chicks still. Is this normal for araucanas??

The two 'girls' have the typical hairdo on top but the possible cock doesn't have this.  When i chose them she was sure that the hens had a square tail. From memory the one i think may be a cock has slightly whispier/longer feathers. I'm sure it's a cock but if anyone has any photos of their araucanas it would be a great help.

Thanks guys ??? :blink: :wub:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: ARAUCANAS - what do the cockerals look like please????
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 20:41 »
Hi, not got any photos yet as I'm not picking my cockerel up for a couple of weeks however if you google araucana uk you will find loads about them on there include lots of photos of all the different types and colours both male and female on there.
Staffies are softer than you think.

darcyhen

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 08:48 »
Hi,
I too have some araucanas - 4 weeks old and i am wondering what sex. I checked out the google. Had already done this but put UK seemed to give me different sites so it did hlp. Except no pictures of chicks.
One of the articles more or less said the male and female look pretty similar anyway - mine are Lavenders.
I've also four sussexs ro sex but i think that's easier as one of them looks completely different - lots more feathers. So i am thinking it's a hen and three cocks.
I did read somewhere (probably on here!) that you can sail a hat over their heads and hens crouch and cocks put their heads up.
Haven't tried that yet though.
If i can get the hang of it i'll post some pictures and we can all have a go at sexing.
I did notice that one of the arauacanas has yellow feet.
michelle

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 09:08 »
not sure if i attached the photo or not from the internet but there's one of araucana chicks. what i really wanted to know is when i will be able to tell if the cock is a cock or a hen.

when do cockerals start cocka doodle dooing?? :blush:
araucana chicks.jpg

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 09:46 »
you may have a long wait, Elwood din't cocka doodle doo till he was 8 months old!

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 09:52 »
oh well if that's the case i'm relieved - it's the neighbour's i don't want to upset for a while.  Of course if i did want to upset them i could get a cockerel and a loudspeaker ha ha :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:10 »
I have a lavender hen who is about the same age as yours! she has a large top knot which sort of meets in the middle so you can see just the tiniest hint of pink on the non existant comb! i also have a rather stunning pur white arauacana which is only 6 weeks old and its definately a he as he has a top knot but it doesnt meet and he has a large pink bump on his forehead! saying that i couldnt tell the sex of the 3 lav aruacanas that went to their new home on tuesday!I told the lady i did  think it was 2 girls and a boy!

will try and gets some pics for you
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 18:40 »
ooh yes please, i'm feeling very confused now as to what the grown ups should look like  :ohmy:

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 19:07 »
both male and female araucanas have a small pea comb  :D

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 20:31 »
i thought so....

so when's the day the answer will be given to me? :wub:

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 20:39 »
Sometimes you have to wait untill they either go cockadoodledoo or lay an egg I'm afraid. As for tail feathers not sure (some are rumpless and don't have any  :lol:). What colour araucanas have you got?

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 20:53 »
all three are black but i believe they are crossed with cuckoo maran.  The possible cockerel has a golden 'hood' and has acted protective over the other two.  I keep the other hens i have at the museum in the wartime garden and the 3 black araucanas have been staying there until there proper home is ready.

gladys, my light sussex happily ignored the new hens of mine and carried on eating when all of a sudden the cock hen in question flew at gladys and head butted her poor love. she just looked at he she for a mo a bit agog. then he she tried again and (i had to roar at this) gladys had enough already, got her food and shoved the he she's neck to the ground to put he she in his her place.

my colleagues are convinced they are actually vultures (yeah, ha ha ha you lot) as they don't sound or look like chickens to them. Well that's why i was also asking when they start to sound like proper chickens as at the mo they sound like chicks still (and a bit vulture ish too i have to agree)...

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 21:11 »
With black red and black gold araucanas both will have red or gold colour laced through their heads and down their necks when young (and the female always but then the male will get it's proper plumage later). I'm not being much help here am I?

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 21:15 »
Hi chookster will pm you

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 21:33 »
With black red and black gold araucanas both will have red or gold colour laced through their heads and down their necks when young (and the female always but then the male will get it's proper plumage later). I'm not being much help here am I?

:Dno-really - i'm loving it :tongue2:

but really, i am confused LOL

xx
Can anyone help me sex these araucanas ?

Started by spatsmum on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 20:47
by D
xx
Araucanas or not?

Started by Bantymad on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 08:10
by Bantymad
xx
lavender araucanas not laying

Started by flashL on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 13:29
by flashL
xx
Going to see a pair of Lavender Araucanas & Silver Pencilled Wynadottes

Started by gsc on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 21:14
by pandora

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 37 queries.