garddwr

Re: Tomato problems
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 14:46 »
Anyone ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 14:50 »
The bottom leaves always end up curly and yellow, i just nip them off. But do they look healthy nearer the top? Yours look different in the pics but you are growing bushy ones so i would expect them to :)
Everythin else looks good too :D

garddwr

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 14:57 »
The bottom leaves always end up curly and yellow, i just nip them off. But do they look healthy nearer the top? Yours look different in the pics but you are growing bushy ones so i would expect them to :)
Everythin else looks good too :D

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Yes most are healthier near the top but they are meant to be cordon varieties I only have 2 bush varieties. But I am sure they have a virus of some kind.

What compost did you use ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 15:15 »
Well the only ones i could make out have lots of side shoots :D

I used Leavington's compost and paid more for the privelege of supposedly a better compost :mad: Didn't like the compost at all, i keep complaining about it on here!
But don't think it's that, as my beans are growin in the same stuff......unless it is Aminopyralid but only  a few of my bags were affected :(
I was thinking virus, but had no greenfly, and never had a virus/problem before in all the years i've been growing toms.....that's why i was so upset :wacko:

If it is the compost it makes you wonder what to grow them in in the future doesn't it :unsure:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 15:24 »
Anyone ?
No need to "bump" the thread, especially after less than an hour and a half.  If someone knew the answer they would have posted it.  Please have a read of site policy on this.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19481.0
Cheese makes everything better.

garddwr

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 16:01 »
Anyone ?
No need to "bump" the thread, especially after less than an hour and a half.  If someone knew the answer they would have posted it.  Please have a read of site policy on this.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19481.0

I'm sorry for that I was just a little worried about my toms and bored this afternoon.

I will never do that again.

Sorry to the mod team and admin and anyone else offended.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 16:30 »
Twice round the garden with the mower is your punishment. :lol:

devondave

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 17:30 »
Mine were doing the same curling up thing, I went to the garden centre and the bloke who works there said his are doing the same thing and he dont have a clue as to why, someone said to me it was a growth spurt that causes it, ive left mine alone and they seem to be doing ok

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 18:41 »
I agree sometimes they curl and then seem to grow out of it, and so i would consider that as normal :)
Mine haven't grown out of it :(

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 18:56 »
Tomato leaf curl is nothing to worry about.  If my lower leaves go yellow I just cut them off.  Simples.

AdsaM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 09:54 »
I took all my bottom leafves off when they went yellow and horrible too. I put it down to water splash when watering. well thats my excuse anyway  ;)

These are my babies now. Had to stop them already as they wanted to take over the world.
Photo0006S.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 20:46 »
The bronzy tomato got binned it was just getting horrible and distorted, and the others in the greenhouse in pots, are going the same way :(
The ones in the g/house border are still ok and the ones in the polytunnel border are good :) So unless they suddenly go downhill it looks as if i will have some toms this year :)

I think the problem must have been the potting compost. The last couple of bags that i used to fill the tom pots must have had something nasty in them, that's all i can think, some of the ones that are going funny are the same variety as in p/t, so it's not a variety thing.
Thinking about it, the purple climbing beans are not doing well and they have some of this compost in the tubs as well :ohmy:
Thing is I paid a lot of money for compost and now it seems even good brands are unreliable, i need to find a reliable brand......... :mad:

sclarke624

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 00:24 »
Well I am looking forward to next year now as this year hasn't been good for me.  My toms aren't the healthist looking either, except for ones that I accidently broke and planted about 6 weeks ago they look perfectly normal,healthy are growing well and quickly and even have trusses.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 10:22 »
The compost this year has made me go  :mad: :mad: :mad:

It really made a bad start to my toms and chillies
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 11:28 »
It seems the overall standard of compost has dropped - I guess because manufacturers are finding it difficult coming to terms with using less peat.

I've used some absolute rubbish this year (quite literally...  >:( ), but by far the best I've found has been Vitax's Q4 multipurpose, which I would thoroughly recommend.

xx
Tomato problems

Started by alit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2006, 12:22
by alit
xx
tomato problems

Started by sonnycbr on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 08:33
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Tomato problems

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 13:30
by Springlands
xx
tomato problems

Started by rosiecider on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2014, 13:48
by rosiecider

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 38 queries.