Black Fly on my runner beans

• 6 Replies

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
Black Fly on my runner beans
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:33 »
I went down to the allotment, and I have got loads of black fly on my runner beans.  What is the best way to get rid of these? 
Hoping they won't have totally destroyed them by the time I can get there tonight.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
Re: Black Fly on my runner beans
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:42 »
ive got black fly like aphids on my greyhound cabbage.my lotty nieghbours said they have them on there beans too,but i dont know what harm they will do ,if any?.i think i heard one chap say he was going to spray them.  :mellow:

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:45 »
Organically ? Just run you're fingers over them - makes a squashy mess but you'll kill enough to keep the problem down. Companion plant - attract things that feed off them, ladybirds etc.

You used to be able to spray with home made stuff, something like a very weak solution of washing up liquid, or some soaked tobacco / rhubarb extract. But thats now against the law and you'll spend 40 years in solitary confinement at her Majesty's pleasure if the thought police catch you.  :nowink:  :nowink:

Chemically Spray with a blackfly killer, Im using Bayers Greenfly plus this year - and frankly its pants.

Minty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:50 »
We just spray with a weak solution of washing up liquid and that works a treat for most things,I dunno why but the cheap stuff seems to work alot better.

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 13:20 »
Thanks for advice.  I am going to try the weak washing up liquid trick.  I had a look a tthe sprays but they say don't spray in direct sunlight.  This is a bit difficult at the moment

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 14:47 »
Wouldn't you be risking scorching by spraying any liquid onto the leaves if it's going to be in full sun for any length of time afterwards?  (That is, it's the fact that it's liquid that's the problem, not the specific sprays)  Either way, you may be best leaving it as late in the day as you can, in this weather.

So far the blackfly seem to be concentrating on my nasturtiums.  Fingers crossed...

plainfield57

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 18:17 »
working in the old gardens we just crushed them off with our fingers no spraying it was the morning job

xx
Black fly on runner beans

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 07, 2008, 20:35
by Bombers
xx
Black Fly - on my runner beans

Started by Carmen7878 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 17:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
runner beans -black

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2007, 14:01
by hammers07
xx
Black aphids runner beans.

Started by cabbagehead on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 16:51
by Rampant_Weasel

Page created in 0.81 seconds with 36 queries.