Any Rhode Island Red breeders out there please?

• 16 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Any Rhode Island Red breeders out there please?
« on: June 30, 2009, 13:50 »
I've been looking up RIR's on the internet and all of them have black or brown tails and wing tips.

Is there a RIR that has a whitish tail and wing tips?  Only the 2 that we got last Friday have, and I'm not convinced they are pure breeds.  I think they are crosses.

Thanks for any input!

Sue33

Re: Any Rhode Island Red breeders out there please?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 13:55 »

hi GA, the three RIRs we have all have white tail and wing tips, they were sold to us as RIRs but i'm no expert  :)

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 14:01 »
Looking on google images, there are photo's of one or two with whitish tails and wing tips, but most seem to be black.

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 14:42 »
I thought Rhode Island Reds were meant to look like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island_Red

They are like it in my books too. I would have thought any white in them would mean they were hybrids of some sort. Most of the Meadowsweet hybrids are all part RIR.

Have you googled for breeders?
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 15:11 »

As far as I know there's no white in a roadie, but Matt is I believe the guy you want to talk to Grannie   aka monty tom  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

poppies

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 15:19 »
Hi I breed rir bantams and they have  a  black/beetle green sheen to their tail ends  and wing tips,

any white feathers are a fault according to the british poultry standards

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 17:05 »
Hi Grannie, i have had RIR before and none had white feather tips, however having now crossed my barn hens with a RIR cockerel i am now in possesion of some lovely darkish brown birds with white tips to their wings and tails :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 17:15 »
Been to visit a friend today who bought some RIR chicks from Melton market, but hers are reddish brown with golden bits  on their heads and backs :wacko: and they were told they was pure, so don't know Ann. They also have some very very nice lavender pekins one of which is sitting on eggs  :) 
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 22:40 »
thanks everyone for the replies.  Yes I know what Rhody crosses look like as we have them in our garden!!  :D  Amberlinks, Goldlines and I think Babcocks, but seem to remember reading somewhere there was something else in a Babcock, But Babcocks look most like Rhodies  i think with their mainly black tails.  Although some of our last lot had whitish tails, but I was promised by the hatchery that they were all Babcocks!

I think we will probably get rid of these 2 new little cockerels, as I don't want to breed with them and get something that maybe doesn't even look like a Rhody, But thanks Richy, I'll PM Monty tom too!!!!

thing is, I think there are far too many people now breeding and hatching, thateverything will get mixed up, like those poor silkie x Lt Sussex in THAT garden centre!!!!    :(

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 14:23 »
Rich deep mahogany red/brown with a brilliant glossy sheen.

No other colours permissable. I have some rather nice bants but no LF RIR.

urban-chickens

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 18:09 »
i could provide fertile eggs, not sure how old this post is?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 19:08 »
i could provide fertile eggs, not sure how old this post is?
You can only provide for free or swaps remember.
Cheese makes everything better.

Caralou

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 19:20 »
thanks everyone for the replies.  Yes I know what Rhody crosses look like as we have them in our garden!!  :D  Amberlinks, Goldlines and I think Babcocks, but seem to remember reading somewhere there was something else in a Babcock, But Babcocks look most like Rhodies  i think with their mainly black tails.  Although some of our last lot had whitish tails, but I was promised by the hatchery that they were all Babcocks!

I think we will probably get rid of these 2 new little cockerels, as I don't want to breed with them and get something that maybe doesn't even look like a Rhody, But thanks Richy, I'll PM Monty tom too!!!!

thing is, I think there are far too many people now breeding and hatching, thateverything will get mixed up, like those poor silkie x Lt Sussex in THAT garden centre!!!!    :(

Don't tell me they were offloading the poor mites as pure silkies as well. My Eve who is that cross looks very different from the silkies to me, but to a newcomer may well be mistaken with her cute furry feet and semi fluff  :ohmy: Are they still stocking birds in those awful conditions there?  :mad:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 22:21 »
Hi Urban-chickens.  thank you for the offer, but getting some from Monty Tom soon.  Just got to wait now to see what these RIR and LS eggs are like we bought from her at the same time we got the 2 young cockerels.  They are due to hatch on 19th!

I'm afraid I culled them today.  Wouldn't havae done it unless I had to, but the day after we got them home they started sneezing and had nasal discharge.  I had quarantined them during the day, but they were sleeping in the cat carrier in the end of the brooder shed at night and I was worried about the chicks, so decided best to cull them and all the others are now on aureomycin, as one of the chooks we got from clovissa in June was sneezing, then Brian said she was okay and to put the 6 of them in with our layers, and now half the layers are sneezing!  so finally got Brian to take me to the vet Monday and picked up the aureomycin yesterday!  Vet said there was nothing on the hen's chest, the rattley was just in her throat, so whatever it is they got is mild and hopefully we can get rid of it now!

Hope so, as the chicks come out of the brooder next week and on 17th August, the turkey poults arrive, so I have to have the brooder REALLY clean because I don't want the turkeys getting blackhead!

Yes Carlou, THAT Garden Centre are still stocking chooks in awful conditions and the person who said they were selling these LSxsilkies said they have fluffy feet too, but don't look like a silkie!  But he didn't say what they were advertised as!  We haven't been down there for ages!!!!

urban-chickens

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 22:42 »
No problems, hear if you need them any time  :D

xx
What are the differences between rhode island red and rhode island red bantam?

Started by salt and pepper on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 00:39
by hillfooter
sad
HELP Rhode Island Red

Started by chickens4life :) on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 09:43
by ANHBUC
xx
Rhode Island Red Chicks

Started by tuffty on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 13:47
by Aunt Sally
xx
Rhode Island Reds

Started by Viv on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2008, 17:52
by slowef

Page created in 0.802 seconds with 40 queries.