Disposing of Horsetail and Brambles

• 25 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Disposing of Horsetail and Brambles
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 23:29 »
That's a very neighbourly attitude, Bernard, sharing your problems with others.

Let's just be clear about this-
I send to the council what the council has said is ok. That is, in our case, everything except earth and wood over 1" thick. Since they have offered this very welcome service, I do them the honour of assuming that they know what they are doing. If they don't, it is their responsibility. And since they do not offer the compost back, one must assume that it is used on the town's gardens; so if there were any problem they would certainly know about it and would correct the instructions to householders.

The last time I had a bonfire, having first looked round for any neighbour's washing, someone put out their washing after I had started then complained to me. Bonfires in gardens adjacent to houses are no longer acceptable in many areas.

But that issue - to be fair - is with one person. You know, Im sure, that passing on pernicious weeds even if they are used on council land is unfair, and are very likely to spread to private gardens. Thats what they pernicious weeds do  :(
Its not a preach I promise you, but I think its wrong, and unfair on people who have no argument/dispute with you.

Its not a neighbourly attitude however you want to see it. 
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 11:20 »

But that issue - to be fair - is with one person. You know, Im sure, that passing on pernicious weeds even if they are used on council land is unfair, and are very likely to spread to private gardens. Thats what they pernicious weeds do  :(
Its not a preach I promise you, but I think its wrong, and unfair on people who have no argument/dispute with you.

Its not a neighbourly attitude however you want to see it. 
We differ. You see this as an issue of passing on pernicious weeds. I do not - I see it as a matter of responsibilities in this sense:
If I as an individual (ditto a local council as an individual body) elect to take on some activity then I accept the responsibility for my actions. I do not welcome some busybody coming along to question whether I am doing it right unless they have firm reason to suppose that I am not.
So, the council has adopted the responsibility for collecting and processing certain refuse and have issued instructions to the public as to what they will accept. My responsibility in this situation is to make sure that I adhere to their instructions.

As I said, it is a very welcome service. What else should I do with wood clippings and roots? I can't burn them and I would not do as some do, i.e. take them to a quiet road and dump them.

I am very much living up to my social responsibilites and I resent the accusation that it is 'not a neighbourly attitude' since in fact the reverse is true.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 12:45 »
We do differ in this opinion, and this could run and run.  I think we now should agree to disagree.

However, I would like to ask one question.  Would you use/buy compost from your council on your garden or your plot?

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 14:33 »
Would you use/buy compost from your council on your garden or your plot?
Certainly would if they were offering it free. I don't buy compost/manure from anyone. But if I found a problem I would, of course, report it to them and follow up before buying any more.

However, there is a question unanswered - what should a person do with diseased or other undesirable garden waste if it cannot be burned?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 15:24 »
It can be drowned in a water butt and left to decompose - making a good feed after approximately a year.Or it can be left it out in the sun to dry out and shrivel up, or some suggest bashing it with a hammer to kill (though I wouldnt trust that it wouldnt grow back with that method)

Other indesirable waste? - Old/banned weedkillers and the like? Im unaware of those disposal methods as I dont have any, but Im assuming you would have to ring your environmental department at the local council/waste disposal and they would take it away safely.  Someone else may know more details on that one.

BELLS PLOT

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 22:02 »
ive only had an allotment 3 months and i'm the same got tons of meres tail.i was talking to one of the other plot holders who's 80 bless him and he said if you put turnip seeds around the meres tail its supposed to keep it away.

peterjf

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 23:38 »
mares tail , ive been told to spray it after bruising it in spring whilst it is still brown , once its turned green there isnt much that can hurt it,

40ml roundup per 5ltr water in a sprayer, even then , it takes 2-3 years to get rid

good luck

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 06:06 »
That doesn't sound a very high concentration. It's usually 30ml per litre for stubborn weeds.

Anyway, you should always dilute according to the label, not what you read here.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 08:01 »
"That's a very neighbourly attitude, Bernard, sharing your problems with others"

Aren't you presupposing that the council aren't killing it?

I have no idea how the council deal with Brown Bin material, but surely they are intending to kill all pernicious weed parts, and all seeds, of anything that becomes re-used as compost?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2009, 08:15 »
Yes I am pre-supposing.

That was the experience with our council who suggested taking our skip away to compost it, until it was pointed out that the stuff that went in there was the stuff we didn't want to put in our compost.

Nice mix of mare's tail, docks, blight, club root, white rot................

They admitted they hadn't thought about that.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 08:58 »
"They admitted they hadn't thought about that"

Scary :(

Our lot seem happy that their process will deal with weeds:

http://www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk/sebc/live/BrownBin.cfm

xx
Disposing of raspberry canes

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 12:34
by gillie
xx
Disposing of potato haulms

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 19:03
by barbarella
xx
Disposing of blighted tomatoes, plants and grow bags…

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 07:32
by sunshineband
xx
Horsetail

Started by Chris Anderson on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 01, 2021, 23:54
by meterman

Page created in 0.861 seconds with 37 queries.