Diluting Stockholm Tar

• 16 Replies

Tessa1978uk

Stockholm Tar
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 10:03 »
Hi there! I'm new to the site and I have two chickens that have lived together perfectly for months... until now!  My white Sussex is now pecking my Speckled and she just sits there and takes it!  I've tried everything from violet spray to vicks vapour rub!  I'm now going to try Stockholm tar as its a last resort (apart from de-beaking). The lady at www.happychicks.co.uk called Sarah has helped me loads but there is only so much she can do.  I dont want to get rid of the pecker as there will be another due to my Speckled being submissive now.  Anymore suggestions will be a bonus!  :(

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: Diluting Stockholm Tar
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 12:18 »
i have 1 feather pecker, she's always done it, i think it's just a habit she developed whilst a barn hen, i've watched her systamatically peck poor Lois and Lois just sat there like a lemon and let her, mine free range the farm all day and have access to oyster shell and layers pellets 24/7 so i don't think with her it's a dietary thing, if you can find out the reason for your feather pecker you'll have a better chance of stopping it, stockholme tar never worked for me but if you are thinking of trying it wear a bin liner and rubber gloves :)

I read somewhere that the propensity to "peck" at things is genetically inherited.  Hence Blue tits love to peck

I suppose that various breeders when choosing preferred qualities may go for things like egg quantity and size and ignore troubles from pecking as they think bits bumpers specs and debeaking will stop the problem. Which may be why many modern hybrids can suffer from this trait.

It's something to remember when breeding from your own birds.  If they have qualities you admire, and qualities you dislike they will probably be passed on in equal quantities.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

xx
stockholm tar

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 22:46
by nettynoodles1
xx
Stockholm tar

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

34 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 20:37
by bluemaran
xx
stockholm tar

Started by NUMBER27 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 22:18
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 36 queries.