where do i start

• 10 Replies

annie.

where do i start
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:47 »
i've recently found this site and the wealth of information you all offer but i still find myself confused (i'll blame it on the heat lol)

i plan to rescue some ex batts and have an area of apprx 15m sq to include house and run

very active fox area so only can free range at w'end when i am in the garden so will have to be non moveable and very secure

how many should i get?
do i have small house so larger run or convert a small shed but run will be smaller

i plan to fully enclose area.  there are brick walls on 2 sides so will use thick mesh the other 2sides at 6 ft tall and will use polycarbonate roof sheets to give shelter and let light in

will i need to mesh roof aswell?

this area currently has a concrete base so i could build sides on this, will this be fox proof?
i intend to build some soil areas from block work that can drain ouwards to allow for scrapping.

are my ideas ok.  nothing started yet and concrete pad already there so i can remove it

i want only very happy chickens so all advice greatly appreciated and listened too!
thanks
'Pets Leave Paw Prints On Our Hearts'

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
Re: where do i start
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 16:07 »
Welcome Annie.
                         Yes you will need a mesh roof, as ive seen foxes clear 6ft fences no problem at all.

Why do you want exbatts??
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

annie.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 17:16 »
i have wanted to keep hens for as long as i can remember and the thought of raising little chicks or being able to select a breed is really appealing but, ultimately they will be pets and eggs although nice and welcome will just be an added bonus so i kind of think it would be nice to give a home to a hen that will have had a dodo life and then slaughtered.  at least this way hopefully if i can get it right they will have some happy life.

thanks for roof advice, i definately will make a mesh roof then put the plastic on top.  will a concrete base be good enough to stop foxes or should i remove this and have a mesh base (worried about hens feet)?
thanks again

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:56 »
Ex-batts are hard work but they'll love you for giving them a happy home... good luck and enjoy!

Oh and I wouldn't mind betting that you become a chook-addict and get more breeds anyway!!
Mad chicken woman

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 14:01 »

build the coop on legs and then they will still be able to get underneath. not sure how many though, most people of here suggest 2msq per hen so maybe 7 or 8 max  :)

annie.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 19:04 »
thanks sue,
thats a good idea because i suppose they will have more room in their 'run' than if i had a shed.  i guess they would only go in there for sleeping if they had a plastic roof on the run anyway.

i thought i knew what to do but the more i've read the more confused i've got  :wacko:

so thankyou for your advice, i really do appreciate it!!!

Sue33

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 09:26 »

well mine only go in their coop to sleep and to lay in the nesting box, although saying that i've only had them a couple of months so maybe in the winter they spend more time in there, we'll see  :)  i've read on here as well that if the coop is off the ground it stops other critters, rats and mice, from nesting underneath  :ohmy:

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 12:13 »
wrt the ground/base - is the concrete raised or flat like a patio?
the reason i ask is because if it's raised  (ie has raised edges) then you could put mesh at the bottom then fill itall in with soil or hardcore or chippings etc.  that way it'll be fox proof underneath and the chooks will be able to stand/dig around etc
if it's flat like a patio, then it'll be fine without foxes being able to dig under (as long as it goes all the way under).
i'd still provide something for them to dig/dust bathe in though.
big sand pit maybe.
 :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 12:38 »
wrt the ground/base - is the concrete raised or flat like a patio?
the reason i ask is because if it's raised  (ie has raised edges) then you could put mesh at the bottom then fill itall in with soil or hardcore or chippings etc.  that way it'll be fox proof underneath and the chooks will be able to stand/dig around etc
if it's flat like a patio, then it'll be fine without foxes being able to dig under (as long as it goes all the way under).
i'd still provide something for them to dig/dust bathe in though.
big sand pit maybe.
 :)

Diagram please I am confused. 
If its concrete how can a fox get through it?  Doubt if you meant that.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 15:54 »
I think having the house on legs is a great idea. The chooks don't at all mind going up to it (though I imagine your ex batts will need some help to start with as they will never have climbed anywhere); it is very, very much easier to clean, because the floor is at hand height so no stooping; and you can either hang their food and water dishes under the floor, or put their dust bath there.

I think any ex batt chooks will be lucky to have you to look after them.

Here's a pic of our chooks by their henhouse so you can see how high up our girls have it. Hazel ladder by my OH!

Good luck!

HEN_0001.JPG
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

annie.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 13:20 »
thanks Jane,

i think it will be really nice to have a 'dining' area under the house and i love your ladder, it looks great!!!!

i'm so excited cant wait but lots of work to do.

thanks for your help.

xx
When to start?

Started by SoniaBA on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 08:04
by Casey76
xx
Where do I start???

Started by Nellie on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 07:02
by flatcap
xx
when will they start to lay???

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 21:07
by needssomehelp
xx
When to start?

Started by mabel b on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 08:21
by beulah59

Page created in 0.858 seconds with 36 queries.