lice trouble .

• 10 Replies

bubs

lice trouble .
« on: June 28, 2009, 22:34 »
i thoroughly cleaned my shed about 3 weeks ago using poultry shield and battles black disenfectant and sprinkled diatom about ,i also powdered the hens with diatom , i also put diatom on them about a week ago
i cleaned out earlier tonight and the lice were running up the walls 100's of them , so i sprayed with the disenfectant and threw diatom on the walls and repowdered the hens again . i am thinking about limeing the walls on the inside of the shed because a neighbour of mine did it in his concrete shed , i have mentioned this in a thread before but i am wondering is it legal to do so and are the results good , i know many pigeon fanciers used this cure years ago in my area but those fella's have died off , i was wondering if any of you guys use lime because the costly powders are not working great at the moment .

too many girls

Re: lice trouble .
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 22:43 »
are you sure it's lice and not those beastly little black fly's that pretend to be lice, red mite, and anything else folk are worried about? i would have thought lice would have been on the birds and not on the walls?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 22:46 »
That's exactly right TMG.  Live live ON the birds rther than in the accomodation.

bubs

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 22:55 »
the hens are covered in the things thats how i guess their lice .
i just came from the shed 2 minutes ago and you can see the little grey blighters crawling across 3 of my amberlees , the one hen had a lot crawling on her i noticed she was light when i liberally dusted her earlier on . the poor hen and i am now itching more than her dammit  ???
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 22:58 by bubs »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 22:57 »
Are you sure it's not red mite ?  They are grey before they have fed.

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 23:03 »
beat me to it Aunty, does sound a bit like red mite doesn't it?  i've never been blessed with them (not yet anyway) and apparently unless you have an igloo (igloo?) they are rotton to get rid of, even the best stuff on the market struggles against these critters.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 23:05 »
apparently unless you have an igloo (igloo?) they are rotton to get rid of,

I think you mean an Eglu ;)

bubs

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 23:07 »
i have put a 500 gram tub of red mite powder on 12 hens and i bought a 5kg tub of diatom and they have had 2 good dusting's of that ,plus the shed has been well dusted and still the creatures thrive . thats why i am thinking of the lime solution i don't think it would harm the hens but it would certainly burn the lice or mite in their hiding place's.

too many girls

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 23:17 »
apparently unless you have an igloo (igloo?) they are rotton to get rid of,

I think you mean an Eglu ;)

that's what i said an Igloo :) eglu :D i don't have one, but i have heard they are really good and worth the money.......
 dammit a fly just drowned itself in my glass of wine :mad: now i'll have to go get the whole bottle..................

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 23:22 »
getting back to the lime, it would probably kill all the nasty creepy crawlies, but may well kill your hens as well, if they peck at the crawlies on the walls won't they digest it?

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 07:23 »
When you treat anywhere for lice or mites, you need to do it again in two weeks time to kill all of the eggs that have probably hatched to beat the cycle.

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

xx
Lice

Started by farmerGiles on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 15:32
by farmerGiles
xx
Ugh - Lice!!!

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 16:52
by joyfull
xx
Lice

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 14:13
by Tony H
xx
LICE!!!!!

Started by parson on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 13:06
by Vember

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 28 queries.