is it a fruit year?

• 14 Replies

cAnAry53

is it a fruit year?
« on: June 28, 2009, 07:18 »
must be a fruit year round here,ive got about 200 strawberry plants as edging on my allotment and ive had 60+lb of fruit from them so far and still coming,my wifes like a donkey with em but even shes fed up now.raspberries doing really well as are gooseberries even got my first cherries,red and blackcurrants did really well also.

Runner bean man

• Runner Bean Addictive
Re: is it a fruit year?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:08 »
me and my mum`s boyfriend are growing strawberry plants,1 for me 1 for him and not a single strawberry between us  :( :(
Peapod's little lad - doesnt like weeding

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 14:05 »
Yea, my strawbs are terrible this year - lots of foliage but few fruit...

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 14:59 »
Not wishing to upset anyone but my strawberries are the best I have ever had.  Getting a large ice cream container (the really big deep square ones) full every day.  :blush:

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 19:13 »
Yep my gooseberry and blackcurrant have massive fruits this year and my apple tree is going bananas  :lol: with apples, I keep taking some off as I'm worried the tree won't cope, must have taken over 100 off in the hope the rest will ripen

Rowan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 19:26 »
We moved into a house with raspberry canes inthe garden, expected around 100 or so, We are picking 300-500g a day for the last few days and plenty more to come!

Also got around 3-4llbs of black currents off one bush!

Seems to be good weather this year, warm, lots of sun, with ocassional heavy rain.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 20:58 »
bit mixed, really. Suddenly, my strawbs are covered in flowers after nothing for weeks, my fruit bushes are bare but my trees (apple, pear and plum) are laden with swelling fruits!

One year I'm gonna get it all right!  :tongue2:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 21:35 »
Ive noticed this year at my site that plums have done really well..shame I havent got a plum tree  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Dominic

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 08:20 »
My Redcurrants are still green >:(

Blackcurrants are turning though.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

matron

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 09:14 »
Good for us. Loads of strawberries, gooseberry bush loaded and nearly ripe, blackcurrant bush loaded and apple tree gone mad.  :D

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:38 »
I think it's a really good year for fruit, especially the currents, should get about 15lbs of my two redcurrents and about the same of my white currents. My blackcurrents are huge this year. All the currents were close to breaking under the weight of the crops and I've had to tie them all up. Rhubarbs been prolific, loganberries/tayberries good, gooseberries excellent and the raspbarries are absolutely loaded. The apple tree is groaning under the weight so I might have to thin the apples or support the branches before they break. I'm going to be very busy and I'll have a very full freezer.

I even noticed this morning that the local cherry trees have fully ripe fruit hanging on them that I helped myself to. Normally the birds have them, but perhaps there's so much fruit about that's they can't be bothered anymore :)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 11:57 »
my strawbs are brilliant this year - this could be because last year I had not one single one because the chickens got there first: so this year I put chicken wire round them.  so, it's a combination of chicken wire and chicken poo from their roamings last year!
raspberries are always good, but a bit earlier this year
guzgogs are really really good this year, prob because i actually pruned the bush in the winter!
 :tongue2:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 13:14 »
I've done really well in my first year with strawbs too... except that I got to the plot last night after having been to Lightwater Valley yesterday and the blackbirds had got there first :ohmy:

My 3 apple trees that I planted 2 years ago are bursting with fruit - I too have had to remove some to prevent the small branches from splitting!

My pear trees didn't even flower this year so will have to look into that, but the 2 new apples planted in the winter had to have all of the fruit removed so that the tree can establish, but if this years pollination is anything to go from then next and subsequent years should be bountiful!

Casey76

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 13:55 »
My cherries, and currants (red white and black) are finished / well they've gone over anyway.  I dislike currants, so I just leave them for the birds.  Once again I didn't get the cherries picked, which was a bit disppointing, but at least I did manage to get 10kgs off the tree before they turned.

My mirabelle is bursting too, though I think they will go to the birds too as I don't have a ladder tall enough to harvest them.

The apple and pear tree isn't doing anything at all though.  I think the apple is biennial fruiting as I got over 400L of apples last year, so will have to sort that out next year, once the apple tree has had a significant hair cut.

Nothing doing with the raspberries as I cut back all of the canes to ground level last October so i could see what was what.  Should have a nice healthy harvest next year though ;)

sclarke624

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 14:42 »
Maybe it was the cold snap, something with some or all dunno fruit needing it and something about dormancy.  Then warm weather, which we haven't seen for a few years so consistantly.  I would say my friut strawbs and apples are about the same but earlier.  My other fruit which is the best thing I have done,lots of lovely smoothies at not much cost are in their first year and doing very well.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
Fruit trees - when is a first year a first year?

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 09:14
by peapod
xx
Bad year for tree fruit

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 22:38
by Diggerpete

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 37 queries.