How often to water in dry spells

• 22 Replies

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
« on: April 15, 2007, 08:54 »
Hi all,
Last year was my first year growing veg. and I was pleased generally with loads of good crops, I did have some failures though like onion grown from seed for example. Good germination, they grew into little salad onion size and no more!
I blame myself for not watering enough, I mis-read my book which says only water when dry to 'they don't need watering'! I think they 'checked' though not sure if subsequent watering can start them growing again I don't know.
Anyway like now we are having a dry spell and it's lasting over a week, I've got spuds, garlic, shallots that are all in the ground, raspberry's and blackcurrants and strawberries, should I be watering every other day, every three days, whats the consensus?  

I'm determined to grow onion from seed again and I've got 140 all pricked out in seed trays sitting outside which for the moment because they are in trays I make sure they dont dry out - I water almost every day as it's so hot. They were started in February and are looking nice and healthy and are about 4" tall at the moment.

Cheers,

Wayne.
Cheers,

Wayne.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 09:29 »
Watering is necessary in dry spells to keep the plants growing  ,I would say do it in the evenings so it has chance to soak into the ground before it evaporates.

As to how often depends on your soil , lighter soils will probably need a soaking everyday and clay soils every 2-3 days.

Collect as much water as you can in butts etc saves on the tap variety especially if you are on a meter.Also after any rain you can put a mulch around the plants of grass cuttings for example, this helps to prevent evaporation. It can attract slugs though so inspect the plants regularily and take action if there is slug damage.

I am growing onions from seed this year ,sown in January and planted out last week they are 6-9" tall, have been watering every other day.Mind the rabbits are nibbling the leaves I hope they recover ( I mean the onions) I hope the man with his gun can exterminate the rabbits soon.I love Gods creatures but I wish these rabbits would find another feeding site.

Photo taken just after planting ,these are the spares, we will use as spring onions and later for cooking ,onions planted in the main plot are spaced wider .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:08 »
Wow - Corndolly you are seriously into onions  :!:

OK, in dry weather with just sowed seeds and seedlings I would water lightly each day (if it gets much warmer maybe twice) as they need the water at the top of the soil to get them started.

Once established the rules are - if the plants look limp water PDQ -  otherwise stick your finger in the soil. The top may well be dry but damp a couple of inches down.

When forming the tubers, potatoes need a lot of water.

The onions failing to develop but not dying suggests a lack of nutrition to me. I'd try some fish, blood and bone or growmore to ensure there is plenty of food for them.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

crowndale

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 16:58 »
It's only been dry a week?!  I don't think it has rained here in a month, not enough to do more than put a light drizzle on the grass anyway.  The ground is concrete where it's not been dug.  I started digging over a small patch at a friends allotment and intended to go back a day or two later to reomve all the weed roots, almost impossible because it had baked solid and now need to wait for some serious rain before I can try again.  

I am soaking my borders in my garden every day prior to digging over and planting out some plants and peas/beans, but it is still like concrete!  Never thought I'd wish for rain!  Am also three weeks behind in my OU studies because I hate wasting the glorious weather indoors, so I NEED it to rain and SOON because I have an assignment due in three weeks time!!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 18:37 »
Yes John , we like our onions , we are feeding 16 -20 people most days , we try to grow as much of our veg and fruit needs as possible . We use about 3 a day ( depending on size) and have just finished last years stored crop, so having to buy at the moment but as soon as those in the pic swell we shall use them green rather than harvest them in august.The 1000 !!! we have planted on the main patch will be harvested for storage.

wellingtons

Well ...
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 19:55 »
... there is the theory that the more often you water, the more often you will have to water ... as the roots learn to seek water near the surface, rather than seeking water deeper down.

Shallow rooted crops - salad, etc - need watering or they fall over really quickly, as do seeds and seedlings.  

But other than that I only water once or twice a week, and although I might not have the lush green crops of my next door neighbour even last year I had a good crop from pretty much everything.  And the advantage of not over watering is that the weeds don't stand a chance!

WG.

Re: Well ...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 20:31 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
... there is the theory that the more often you water, the more often you will have to water ... as the roots learn to seek water near the surface, rather than seeking water deeper down

Hear hear!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 20:40 »
I have friends who live in France and their summer is very hot and dry.  They only water if it's a case of life and death for the plants.  Water there is quite expensive and they prefer to force the plants to send their roots down deep.

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
watering
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 20:45 »
couldnt agree more wellingtons.
Better off keeping seeds in packets and plants in pots at the moment.
It'l rain eventually, we're a long off being late for sowing anything yet.
Must admit I'm getting frustrated with trying to break up the ground into anything like suitable for sowing. Stuffs as hard as cannon balls.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

scrawny

Less than three weeks...
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 21:38 »
Am also three weeks behind in my OU studies because I hate wasting the glorious weather indoors, so I NEED it to rain and SOON because I have an assignment due in three weeks time!![/quote]

Thats May 4th its due in... so its now only 19 days! It won't rain until the assignment has finished... typical dose of sod's law!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 00:21 »
Despite soil baking at the surface, when I mixed compost in with the rotovator I was surprised how damp it is a couple of inches down. I think we may get some rain Monday.

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 06:55 »
Thanks for all the replies,  I'm going to give them lots of tlc this year as I'm determined to have a good crop of onions!

That's an impressive crop of onions Corndolly!!!

Wayne.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 08:02 »
I've just been to the plot before work and gave everything a good watering... mainly the spuds and onions..

Oh how I hate being back at work.. had last week off and spend every day at the plot, 1 day back at work and I am crying to be back there and not at this keyboard *sigh*

wellingtons

Once they've come up ...
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 09:48 »
... I have never watered spuds, because no matter how blooming hot it gets the foiliage never seems to wilt!  I know that it probably affects my yield but I've enough trouble keeping the weight off as it is without eating extra spuds ...  :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Once they've come up ...
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 09:49 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
... I have never watered spuds, because no matter how blooming hot it gets the foiliage never seems to wilt!  I know that it probably affects my yield but I've enough trouble keeping the weight off as it is without eating extra spuds ...  :lol:

And have you tried growing Adora low calorie potatoes? They make nice chips :)

xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
WATER shortage - tips for saving / harvesting water please

Started by Cr78 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:52
by mumofstig
xx
keeping water in water butts

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 11:25
by Ivor Backache
xx
Water butt water, is it ok for a greenhouse

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 21:02
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.647 seconds with 36 queries.