GOOSEBERRIES GRAFTED ??

• 6 Replies

tode

GOOSEBERRIES GRAFTED ??
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:06 »
After a few years of (more or less) neglect, we're getting the fruit patch back into shape.
Rasps, blackcurrants and blackberries doing very well, but the gooseberries, despite feeding and mulching, only have tiny little goosegogs (size of peas), although plenty of them.
Theyre about 15 - 20 years old. Cant remember which, but we bought 2 different ones.
The bushes are very big, make good healthy growth.
Q:  Are gooseberries grafted ? (in which case would my bushes now be just suckers?), or am I doing something wrong?
I gave the whole fruit patch quite a good dose of wood ash last winter.
Thanks for any advice.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Re: GOOSEBERRIES GRAFTED ??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:10 »
I could be very wrong on this one, but I always thought gooseberry bushes had a shelf life for production - don't know why but 15 years sticks in my mind. I think the books advise taking cuttings and planting them straight into the soil/compost to raise new plants. Somebody else may say differently or confirm this is the case

gillie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 08:35 »
I don't think gooseberries are normally grafted, it would be a waste of time since they strike easily from cuttings.

Are your gooseberries ripe? or are they just late developing?  I would thin out the berries a bit and see how much the rest swell and ripen.  If they do not develop the only answer would be to grub them out and plant new bushes of a different variety somewhere else. 

I don't think you are doing anything wrong - in fact you seem to be pampering them.  If you decide to keep them a hefty winter prune would be in order.

Cheers,

Gillie

tode

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:07 »
Yes I suppose I could try thinning, but Oh my! they do have wicked thorns. If the goosegogs were the size of the thorns, well . . . .
When I was very very small, my little gooseberry bush had big fat pink gbs that were delicious.
My blackcurrants are almost bigger than these things.
Thanks for advice, will try.

SG6

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 17:15 »
They wouldn't happen to be deep red gooseberries would they?
There is a variety that is resistant to a lot of the viruses etc that can affect the mainstream varieties. I had a few of them.

The bushes were resistant but they had thorns on that stopped me getting at anything, also the fruits were small and round, about 6-7mm diameter.

I don't think that most bushes are grafted but they can be grafted as I have 2 bushes that are half standards adn are about 1 metre high. Not sure what they are grafted on.

tode

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:33 »
One of the 2 bushes has reddish fruit, and I seem to remember was sold as a "Worcesterberry". The other, which has green fruit looks like a "proper" gooseberry.
But both have tiny fruit.
I notice that you talk of your gooseberries in the past tense: I presume you got rid of them?
Will try watering (we've had v. dry weather) to see if that will swell the fruit a bit.
Do you know the names of any decent-sized gooseberries? For pie-making?

Yesterday evening my wife trod on a gooseberry pruning and the thorn went straight through her sandal. She told me in no uncertain terms what to do with my gooseberries.

gillie

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 10:18 »
There are a huge number of gooseberry varieties, some green and some red as well as hybrid berries like the Worcesterberry.

I believe attempts were made to breed a thornless gooseberry, but I don't think they were very successful.

We grow the variety Invicta which is disease resistant bearing green to yellowish fruit of a decent size.  It too has got out of hand and will need a severe pruning wearing heavy gloves.  Gooseberries can be trained into espaliers or cordons which makes the picking somewhat easier if you can be bothered to do it.

The RHS garden at Wisley has a vast display of gooseberry varieties, all trained as vertical cordons.

Cheers,

Gillie

xx
Feeding gooseberries and gooseberries in pots

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 21:29
by londongardener
xx
Grafted Tom help

Started by Poolman on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 17:26
by Poolman
xx
Grafted tom's (DIY).

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 16:29
by mumofstig
xx
Grafted Plants

Started by Mr Dog on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 10:00
by Markw

Page created in 0.719 seconds with 36 queries.