What Veg Requires Netting

• 7 Replies

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
What Veg Requires Netting
« on: June 26, 2009, 00:35 »
Hi all.

My Sq Ft Garden is going very well but i have hit a problem. Its become to high and now most things are touching my netting. I was thinking of removing the netting over the whole sq ft garden but i wanted to know what items still require to be covered to be protected agenst things as i was going to make a box to covers items that still needed it.

Can anyone advise

Chris

Trillium

Re: What Veg Requires Netting
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 02:27 »
Not sure what's in your square foot garden but brassicas (kale, cabbage, etc) are usually #1 targets for birds, any fruits will usually suffer as well, same with peas, sometimes beans. Carrot fly needs a fine net and should be on until you take out the crop.

Minty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:24 »
We've tied streamers to canes all around our brassica's and so far (touch wood) the birds have stayed away as they dont seem to like the noise and things flapping about near them.
We use carrier bags as they make quiet a bit of noise in the wind.We did try cd's last year but they didn't work.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 09:27 »
Somebody also posted recently that they used toy windmills,which I thought was a great idea, it does depend though on what you have...and these wont stop butterflies.

Could you raise the netting?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

poppies

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:35 »
Broad beans,  I left about a foot along the bottom uncovered and the pigeons have had them

Minty  - careful with the bags and cd's sometimes the birds get used to them lossed all my sprouting brocoli last year

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:18 »
Well here is what i have in the sq ft garden

Not sure if its worth just building some tall netting box for set things but i also have some spare netting but it wont keep the flies off as it has large holes.

Any ideas what is best to do

Chris

chrisb1357

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 14:06 »
I might build some boxes with fine netting on them for the carrots and use the large open netting to cover the whole area

Chris

Swing Swang

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 14:23 »
I'm sure it's a balance between aesthetics and harvest!

Last year I enviromeshed and brassica caged and fleeced and pampered but didn't like living on a 'space station'.

This year I'm much more laid back and accept that it's a war of attrition that I can't win.

More beauty for the eye to behold, but reduced crops. Still have plenty for my needs though.

Maybe I'm lucky.

Having said that I'd probably net the brassicas.

SS

xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
netting

Started by greenstan77 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 11:09
by Stripey_cat
xx
netting

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 15:30
by fatcat1955
xx
Veg netting

Started by polly tunnel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 14:49
by madcat

Page created in 0.908 seconds with 30 queries.