What should I be doing now?

• 8 Replies

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
What should I be doing now?
« on: June 25, 2009, 19:22 »
As newbys weve been busy through spring up till now sowing, watering and watching the fruits (and vegs) of our labour coming on, dead chuffed so far, lettuce doing well, carrots coming on nicely, a few beans, some leeks going slowly and even some pumpkins!

Weve drawn a bit of a blank now though, fancy doing some sprouts, but what else could we be doing for autumn and overwintering (and what is overwintering - do the plants just go dormant and will they want taking in?)?

Any suggstions appreciated!! Cheers!

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
Re: What should I be doing now?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 19:30 »
Soft fruits.    Soft fruits  And fruit trees 

And over wintering veg like caulis beans cabbage etc.

And soft fruits.

Now is the time to "seed" relationships. During the autumn after all the soft fruits ahve given their goodies is the time to get the sucklings and take cuttings.  If you haven't got a wide selection of fruits then chat to those that have. It might be advantageous for you to get some advanced offers of some rasberries, gooseberries, currants, logans  etc.
My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 19:32 »
I always (now I've learnt how to post links!) give this one, as a guide from the site to your sowing planting and harvesting. It may help in giving you some more ideas of what to get going when :D

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 19:33 »
This is a good time to plant pak choi, purple sprouting broccoli and salads for winter like red mustard (yum), as well as winter radishes (which we love)  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 19:42 »
It's too late to sow brussel sprouts, don't know if they will have plants in the garden centre :unsure:
I've only just sown winter cabbage MInicole, and Samantha small savoy, Tundra large savoy/white cabbage hybrid a very nice cabbage fully winter hardy if you have the space, and swede Marion still to sow. (Sowing dates savoys...may to July, minicole may to june, swede Mid april to mid july.)With leeks that's your winter harvest taken care of :)
If you still have room after that, you can sow cabbage to overwinter to use as spring greens
or the hardiest broad beans and peas for an early crop if you are lucky with the weather.
Also winter salad if you have a coldframe, or greenhouse?

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 19:59 »
Hmmm... thats Christmas dinner of sprouts ruined ::) big cabbage fans though thanks for the advice!! Should have plenty of room once evrything else starts coming out! So we sow them now and just leave them out? Will they want covering? Its cold up north!!

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 20:06 »
Think you may be able to find some brussel plugs in your garden centre od DIY store round about now - sure I saw some. Its the next best thing!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 20:09 »
No covering needed (apart from keeping the birds off :ohmy:) as long as they are the winter/spring ones. Ordinary summer cabbage wouldn't live in the cold :(

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 20:17 »
Awesome - thanks again! Guess what were doing this weekend!!  :D

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 38 queries.