I'm worried about my hens - please help

• 9 Replies

LottieLotto

I'm worried about my hens - please help
« on: June 25, 2009, 09:56 »
I'm becoming worried about my hens.

We got our hens about 2 years ago. They were free to roam around the garden and at night they went to bed in their henhouse and i closed the door to make sure that they were safe overnight. Our hens were happy and they laid approximately 4 eggs between them every day.

Recently we aquired 2 ducks and we built a duck and chuck run which are joined by a connecting wire mesh door. The duck house is in the duck area and the hen house is in the hen area. Both areas are very roomy and safe and they mingle occasionally - supervised cos Peggy hen gets a bit bossy with the ducks.
Since moving into their chuck run my girls have stopped laying. We only get one egg per day now instead of 4 and this has gone on for 3 weeks.
The whole time they've been in their new area. Nothing else has changed. They still have their layer pellets mixed up with grit and cornmash throughout the day, they still have their porrige each morning and their corn on the cob at teatime and through the day they have carrot tops and goodies from the allotment and i'm constantly cleaning and changing their water to make sure that all their needs are attended to.
We made them perches to sit on, i buy untreated turf for them to peck at, they have an area near to their favourite tree where they can dustbathe, and as usual there playing area is kept really clean. They have sunny and shady areas within their run, so they can lounge about wherever they like depending on the weather and their mood.

Is the reason for stopping egg production down to their move? or is there a problem here? I can't think of any reason why they should have stopped other than the fact that they don't like their new place.

I thought that they might have got red mite, and i checked them all thoroughly but couldn't see any. I checked inside their henhouse which is kept very clean and i couldnt see any there either, but nevertheless i went to the chicken supplies shop, got some red mite powder and gave them all a dusting. But still we're only getting one egg.

Their apetites are good and they seem healthy, but i'm a bit lost as to why they've stopped laying all of a sudden.

....Can anyone help me please cos i'm a bit worried about my girls.

too many girls

Re: I'm worried about my hens - please help
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:00 »
how old are they? they may be just having a break.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:06 »
I agree with TMG, think they just could be having a break.
Maybe cut down on their "extras" so they have more layers pellets, might help boost calcium, perhaps a little cod liver oil and a tsp poultry spice once a week just to make sure they are getting all their minerals for laying.
It sounds like they are very healthy and well cared for! :)

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 10:48 »
One way to tell how old is by the eggsize, if they laid smallish eggs when you got them and frequently, they probably were POL, specially if the egg size is a little larger now. Pullets tend to smaller eggs initially, which get to an average size by the end of that years' laying. The following season they will lay larger eggs, but with less frequency(hybrids) if their combs/wattles have increased in size as well that is usually a clue.

Make sure you get the poultry spice not a vitamins supp. as its the minerals they will benefit from. Codliver oil just one tsp mixed into their pellet twice a week for a month. ACV in their water will also help keep their digestive tract in good order.(25ml per litre)
Really gut down on treats, laying problems can be very uncomfortable for the hen :( If you give any, make sure it is in the evening and definately no corn right now. :)

buzz

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:40 »
Hi, Sounds like your chickens are much loved and very well looked after and have everything they need !

I've noticed with my hens that an upset really does effect their laying ! I had 4 chickens and introduced another 2 and it upset them so much they all stopped laying for over a week and one of them for over 3 weeks ! then when my neighbour got a rooster a few weeks ago they stopped laying again as his visits upset them, although they seem to have started again now. So it could well have just been the move, although a few friends of mine have found that their chickens have stopped laying so well in recent weeks for some reason (Heat ? or just having a rest ?), I would try not to worry to much but let us know what happens ! :)

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 12:44 »
did those little black things have wings? were they smaller than a flea? when you squished them were they red?? Red mite look grey/black during the day and red at night when they have had a feed.

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 13:00 »
No thats not red mite, just little black flies,wont do any harm. Squidge a red mite and you get a little red smear ;) :)

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 18:23 »
hiya lottie , i have posted this before but i'll post it again . my girls slowed down on laying well i thought they had but no my girls just decided that under the hen house was a better place to lay but we only found that out as a freinds kid was walknig round the run an noticed an egg well we pulled out 36 eggs and god knows how long they had been under there for  :lol:. there must of only been a 4 inch gap from the floor of the house to the ground but they got under there ok and since i have blocked it of no eggs have been found under there so double check even the smallest of hiding places u just never know  , i agree it  may very well be the heat etc thats slowed them down but we cant expect our girls to lay every single day so i am praying for you that they are just having a break .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 06:12 »
well i cant wait for the day u come on here an shout out u have a full house  :lol: .

i am havign to turn ppl away on my site has ppl are pumping my girls with all thier cabbage leaves etc etc and some wont seem to listen that i can supply my own food so i dont need thiers , once in a while is ok but not everyday when someone has a clear out .
once i was almost given a week old bag of cooked veges that this person said was fine for my girls well i was nearly sick when she opened the bag an i was quick to reply get that in the compost bin .

i'm giving my girls small amount of veges every other day or so as i dont want over weight birds .

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 20:59 »
it does break your heart when they come running an u dont have anything but its for the best not to over feed them , i have finally managed to get a few ppl listen to me when i say my girls dont need their left over crops as i have enough of my own .

sad
One of my hens, Rosalee, laid a broken egg, im worried.

Started by AngieC on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 13:02
by Casey76
xx
Am a bit worried

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 21:04
by bantam novice
xx
Worried

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 10:24
by smiler43
xx
should i be worried??????

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 20:27
by dawnie77

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 36 queries.