Back Biting Goslings

• 3 Replies

Mikey

Back Biting Goslings
« on: June 24, 2009, 22:09 »
We have 11 goslings, now 2 weeks old, having lost 2 from the original 13.

All are active and feeding well.  However some seem to be growing faster than others.  Is that usual?

Additionally, they seem to have the habit of back biting.  At one extreme, some goslings are still pretty balls of yellow down.  One gosling at the other extreme,  does not have a feather on its back.  Other than this, it looks fit, healthy, is feeding well. is of average size and in not being bullied by others. 

I would appreciate hearing the experience of other poultry keepers.

Vember

Re: Back Biting Goslings
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 22:44 »
Hi Mikey

Are they in or out during the day? Goslings love to pull on stuff where there is no grass they will start pulling at one another :(

Mine love sticky bob plants, (the ones with the tiny balls on that literally stick to anything :lol:) I start giving them that at 2 days old, gives them something to pull on :)

The size difference, could simply be Ganders being bigger birds :) The other thing may be that the smaller ones aren't getting enough food :(

If they are not out on grass yet get them out in a secure run during the day (especially when it's fine), you can't beat getting them on grass asap to give a healthy strong bird :)

Sarah :)

Mikey

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 18:07 »
Thanks for your comments Sarah.  They have been indoors, but this afternoon, we have built a temporary enclosure with 5 foot wire mesh.  They seemed to enjoy being outdoors and pecking at grass.

However the enclosure is not cat proof.  Might this be a problem?  How old do they need to be before they can fend for themselves against cats weasels etc?  I expect to need always to bring them in at night because of foxes.

Ours also love sticky bob.  We call it goose grass.  I wonder if this is how it came by that name.

Mikey

Vember

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 18:32 »
Cat's shouldn't be a problem, the  nearly 3 week olds ones here are at the moment in my kitchen with 4 of my cats :lol:  I'd be more worried about crows and magpies, but then again this really depends on their size.

Today for the first time I have let the older (3 wks sunday) ones out of their run, there is a short video I made here in this thread  :-  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=36414.msg475116#msg475116

Have a quick look see if you can get an idea of size from that, but bare in mind I am around all day and the minute my adult birds start shouting I rush out to see whats going on. If you are not around all day then they might be better off staying in the run for another couple of weeks :)
They will also need some sort of shelter in the run incase it rains as they will still be quite fluffy and if they get cold and damp they will get ill :(  Hence the older babies now being in the kitchen :D

:lol: about the goose grass, even the adults like it so yes it probably is how it got it's name :lol:

Sarah :)

xx
Goslings

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:02
by Helenaj
xx
goslings

Started by slowef on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 02, 2007, 10:46
by Aunt Sally
xx
i got my goslings !!!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 16:33
by Vember
xx
goslings

Started by dawn37 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 10:02
by Lottieluv

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 37 queries.