They have done me again

• 53 Replies

Trillium

Re: They have done me again
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 01:40 »
Truly sorry that so much bad luck has come your way, fatbelly. I couldn't begin to think of what to suggest you might do. I only hope that somehow you can keep gardening.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 09:50 »
Its not easy to keep your chin up when it happens the first time, but repeat vandalism beggers belief. Hope you can all keep up the collective strength to mentally fight the ******ds.

elibump

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 09:58 »
 :(
Sorry, there's nothing I can add to what others have said, try not to give up - they've won then.  Don't let the b*****ds grind you down :tongue2: :tongue2: (couldn't spell it in latin so used English)

Take care.  Hugs through the ether to you all. xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 14:54 »
What a total nightmare. So sorry - and really angry - to hear that you have been targeted again.  Its even harder to swallow the fact the police say there is nothing they can do .  SO frustrating.  Unfortunately there is so little you can do to stop them - I just hope they get bored of their destructive sprees very soon.  Maybe you should all get together and start devising booby traps made from nettles, brambles, holly and anything else evil, nasty and spikey!! A few strategically placed buckets of really rank nettle tea.... ?

May the hairs of a million nettles sting their worthless backsides for eternity. >:(

I hope you don't give up though.
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

madcat

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 15:49 »
II don't know what to say other than this time I feel beaten I may give up. The old guy whose greenhouse in now totally demolished said he will now give  up.
This is  now the fourth time I have been done in 12 months, the Police do turn up but they say there is nothing they can realistically do.

Like everyone else, I hope you dont give up - but I could well understand if you did.  4 times in a year - the first time you feel murderous ... but by the fourth, there cant be anything left to feel but despair.  There just isnt the energy left.. 

Who is the landlord for the plot?  If it is the council - or similar body with deeper pockets than plotholders - then a PR campaign with the local paper to encourage the provision of a real fence and hedge combo might be the long term answer. 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 16:00 »
Can I suggest the paint that never dries?  Paint the shed and door liberally with it.

It's specially formulated to stay wet as a deterrent Anti climb paint it's called.

Heres one online retaile but it is easy enough to pick up

http://www.insight-direct.co.uk/DotNetShop/listsubgroup.aspx?Group=9&SubGroup=1
My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 16:04 »
part of our site has barbed wire above the fence

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 16:12 »
I'm not certain about the legality but you may find that non- dry paint in not legal.

I know someone who used it on top of a wall and the police cautioned him not to use it as anyone getting it on their clothing could sue him and they meant  "anyone " !

Barbed wire can get you into trouble too  >:(

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 16:55 »
I feel for you fatboy. I gave up my last allotments for the same reason, crops stolen & terrible vandalism - the b*****s even rode a flipping bike all over my crops one year.  However I missed my lotties so much, here I am having another go on another site. Good luck in the future.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 17:02 »
So sorry to read this again FB you and your fellow lotty holders must be heart broken. Personally if it were me I would be camping out a few nights with some mates and hope the little s***s come back.
Regards the anti vandal paint ive used this on commercial premesis in the past (im a painter n decorator) it was used on drain pipes etc so people couldnt climb them and the only thing we had to do was put signs up saying the paint was anti vandal etc etc etc as a warning. Things could have changed but im not sure to be honest.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 17:03 »
as regards the anti vandal paint i found this

Anti-Vandal Paint and the Law
Under the Occupier's Liability Act 1984 householders owe a duty of care to anyone on their property, whether they are entitled to be there or not. The duty is to protect people from an injury as a result of a foreseen hazard. If anti-vandal paint has been applied to a wall and an intruder slips and injures himself as a result, this is something that the householder could have predicted. Householders could also be caught up by the Highways Act 1980 if anti-vandal paint is used on a wall or surface which adjoins a public highway. The Highways Act states that care must be taken to avoid "harm or injury" to any person or animal using the highway.

The local crime reduction or crime prevention police officer should be happy to advise householders if they have any doubts about the legality, or efficacy, of any intruder deterrent methods they intend to use.

Discharging the Duty of Care
To discharge the duty of care owed to trespassers, householders must put up a warning sign if they are using anti-vandal paint. The sign or signs should be placed in the area where the paint is being used. Suppliers of anti-vandal paint usually also sell warning signs. In addition the paint should only be applied to surfaces above two metres high so that innocent passers-by do not come into contact with it.

barney rubble

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 17:15 »
Re: barbed wire I was advised by the police and the council that you may not place it on any wall or surface that fronts a public highway

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 17:55 »
I'm not certain about the legality but you may find that non- dry paint in not legal.

I know someone who used it on top of a wall and the police cautioned him not to use it as anyone getting it on their clothing could sue him and they meant  "anyone " !

Barbed wire can get you into trouble too  >:(

Ridic isn't it?  That's why I suggested spikes of the natural kind....."But officer, it was just a pile of weeds waiting to be shifted..."

barney rubble

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 18:01 »
I was also advised by the police to grow something like climbing roses, hawthorn (very large goosegogs would probably do the trick toooooo) - can't think why ;)

kel28

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 19:38 »
Im so sorry, just wastes off space people like that, I hate to say it but probably bored kids, lets hope when they grow up and have a family and want whats best for their kids and start growing their veg some mindless little twerp does the same to them. Last year we had a bloke going round nicking bits, he was actually nicking veg as well thou, I wouldnt mind but half what he pulled up he chucked back because he didnt know what he was pulling up. If he'd asked anyone of us for some stuff we'd give it to him but instead he choose to rob our tools and veg and ruin some crops he didnt blooming want. Morons is all I have to say dont let them put you off thou there not important enough!!
kem

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 38 queries.