They have done me again

• 53 Replies

fatbelly

They have done me again
« on: June 24, 2009, 20:39 »
I posted last week saying how vandals had broke into my and 18 other sheds on our plot and smashed our greenhouses up.

Well we all stuck together and got things back to normal (one plotter spent nearly fifty pounds on panes of glass)

Well last night the vandals returned and again broke into my and ten others plotters sheds and totally totally ruined an old guys greenhouse.

I don't know what to say other than this time I feel beaten I may give up. The old guy whose greenhouse in now totally demolished said he will now give  up.

This is  now the fourth time I have been done in 12 months, the Police do turn up but they say there is nothing they can realistically do.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 20:45 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
Re: They have done me again
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 20:47 »
Sorry to hear your bad news, they are a load of complete barstools that ran riot over your plots. It's such a sad thing to hear that people are doing this just as the country seem to be getting into 'grow your own veg'

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 20:48 »
I feel sick and angry on your behalf  :mad:

Total and utter sc**.

Words truly fail me.  I can so understand how it's causing you and others to question whether to continue there.  Are the local press really aware of this?  Might just cause some publicity against the toerags?

Is it just sheds etc which are being attacked?  Would it be possible to keep going without a shed?  I don't have one, it means taking tools with me in the car or planning carefully in advance, but it might mean you can continue to GYO without the evil people continuing to ruin it?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 20:51 »
I'm so sorry to hear. It must be heartbreaking  :(

My plot is my garden at the moment and sleep with the window open and the dog has the run of the house due to neighbours tomato plants being stolen last year. Needless to say my tomatoes are planted in the ground. I do worry though due to a number of incidents recently  :(
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Riala

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 20:51 »
See, now I am worried about getting a shed.

I do not have a car, nor do I know anyone on the Allotment, or even anyone else where I live to ask if I can get lifts, so I have to carry my spade, fork or rake, plus the pram when I walk to the allotment.

I am so angry for you right now... I would definitely go to the local paper, even the local radio.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 20:51 »
There must be something that can now be done, this is sustained vandalism,running into thousands of pounds.  You cant be fobbed off by this anymore.  I know the police are run off their feet, but this is now a large crime spree.  Go to the papers and to anyone wlse who will listen.  Someone should at least put some money towards CCTV/vandalism detterents.

I really dont know what to say Fatbelly ( I didnt last time) Im so very gutted for you, its easy to say please dont give up, but I hope you dont.  This will eventually stop as it runs its course
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 20:52 »
Oh that's so awful for you and the others on the site, I feel really angry & dismayed for you  :(

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 20:55 »
I'm thinking cameras and a few nice big guard dogs.......

Becci W

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 21:00 »
Sorry to hear that, we got done last week, they cut the lock on our shed and stole my spade ..... I loved that spade. Like you, the police came down but say they can't do anything. Haven't bothered to replace the lock because it didn't stop them. I must say though, I was glad they just pinched stuff, I would have been completely devestated if they had trashed the plot, I wish there was something we could do.

bonjives

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 21:06 »
So sorry to hear what has happened to your plots again, soul destroying for you all.  We had the same problem on Monday night, thankfully no damage was done to my plot but the guy next to me had his shed door ripped off its hinges, yet nothing was taken!!! Found out that 3 others were broken into, one just had the shed floor pulled up.
What pleasure do they get out of damaging other peoples property, the mind boggles!
Bring back conscription, the younger the better, get some discipline into their lives.
JB80

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 21:49 »
I won't say what I really feel as I don't want to break any rules on here.

How much bad luck can one allotment site get. Would like to say stick in there and carry on, but without some way to safeguard the place you couldn't be sure what's going to happen next week. Sorry, I just don't have the answers.  :(

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 22:01 »
don't let them win by giving up!  I know it's hard but keep the faith. As for sheds, we have had break ins in the past but now have 7ft high railings all around and were given hawthorn whips to plant around the perimeter. They are now 6 ft high and give added protection. I have fitted a mortice lock into the reinforced door to my shed and everything inside is chained and padlocked. Bit over the top, maybe, but so far, I've been left alone.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

titch

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 22:10 »
Really feel for you fatbelly, my shed got nicked last week, our site has had 4 break ins, we only be up and running as a site for 4 months  :(

i dont know what to say, but it seems to be going on all over, it beggars beleif that people would stoop so low, its so unfair as us lottie folk are good people
just keep breathing................

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 22:31 »
Its terrible - but I fear its only going to get worse as/when the school holidays start.

If you can; I'd remove anything from the plot (other than veg) that could be damaged or nicked. Theres very little point in fancy locks and security chains they'll probably just set fire to it all just for poops and giggles.

You're not letting them win - they'll keep coming back as long as there are sheds to rifle and glass to break. Its your time and money, its not costing them anything to come and trash it. Even if they're caught red handed nothing will happen and they know it.

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 22:44 »
I am so sad for you all at your plots it must be so disheartening and soul destroying, I have only had my plot since end of april but it has become so much part of my life and mental well being that I wouldn't know what I would do in your situation.
I am the parent of 2 the youngest being 17 he comes to the plot and is helping our neighbour with her weeding as she is unable at present to do it herself not all youngsters are bad they need direction how to get these vandals to realise the hurt they cause is a problem, I just wish I had an answer  :(. hard as it may be I think you should find a way to carry on and not let them win. My thoughts are with you x

Page created in 0.515 seconds with 38 queries.