Terrorised by a cockerel

• 22 Replies

HM

Terrorised by a cockerel
« on: June 24, 2009, 20:07 »
Hi guys. You helped me once before and I hope you can help me again.

We have a RIR cockerel who we hatched last July, along with 2 hens (good as gold) and a light sussex cockerel, who made a very welcome "guest" at the Christmas table....

The RIR cockerel has always been feisty and is good at looking after his ladies, now numbering 6. The trouble is, he is getting more and more agressive to me mainly, and less so to my husband. I totally understand that he is being protective, but it's getting to the point that I just don't want to go into the run at all.... I've just come back from giving the rest of thier corn, and he ran/flew at me while I was giving them all corn and I am now bruised and feeling victimised!! :wacko:

Is there anything I can do to try and control or modify his behaviour? Should I try dominance  >:( or try to be less threatening...?

All thoughts gratefully recieved.

HM

wildwitchy

Re: Terrorised by a cockerel
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 20:28 »
There was another thread similar to this somewhere. It recommened dunking him in a bucket of water a few times to get the message.

HM

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 20:31 »
Many apologies... I was just about to post a note to say that I'd just found that thread when your message popped up!  :wub:

Thanks, wildwitchy.... I'll go armed with a bucket tomorrow and will report back.... if I survive!

HM

wildwitchy

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 20:35 »
good luck - show him the cooking pot otherwise & mind any spurs.  :ohmy:

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 20:45 »
If the water doesn't work, you could try chasing him with a stick every time you go in (show him who is boss ;) ). You don't need to hit him with it, just scare him,  when he gets the message, carry the stick with you each time you go in there.

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

rocky

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 20:47 »
you have my sympathy!!!!!

wildwitchy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 21:01 »
I have to corner my cockerel if I want to pick him up. He runs away from me unless I've got food in my hand - then he loves me!  ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 22:06 »
I keep trying the chinese water torture with Beck's, but he still hates me!!!  Don't like chasing them with sticks, but he may get a cricket bat over his head soon if he's not careful!  Only thing is, I've promosed some of the fertile eggs his girls lay to someone in august!!!

Stree

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 00:11 »
Roasted, with potatoes and Yorkshire pudding, a little white wine in the gravy, and should not give you any more bother...

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 00:24 »
My dad had around 200 chickens when I was a kid... they roamed the orchard and wandered into the garden.

My uncle, whose family lived with us, just did not get on with a beautiful old-fashioned looking cockerel. It would battle with him whenever he went into the garden... eventually my uncle was never seen out in the back unless he was carrying the yard broom. The cockerel got the message.

Strangely enough it ignored me - perhaps at 5 yrs old I wasn't big enough to be considered a threat?

I think I'd carry a rolled up newspaper.... easy to spot and not too solid if you need to have a swipe - it worked for our kittens who speedily learned not to shred all of the furniture!!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Big Jen

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 10:22 »
One of my boys got a full bucket of water tipped right over him last night. He wanted to play at kick boxing when I was bending over filling up the water tubs. :mad:

Dont know if it will stop him doing it again- but it was very satisfying :nowink: :nowink:

Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

poppies

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 13:21 »
Hi in recent months  I have been chased by several cockerals and they hurt when they attack I bought a kids badminton racket which I carry around the one's  I know will go for me and use it as a shield - not to hit or poke them just put between us

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 15:36 »
One of my boys got a full bucket of water tipped right over him last night. He wanted to play at kick boxing when I was bending over filling up the water tubs. :mad:

Dont know if it will stop him doing it again- but it was very satisfying :nowink: :nowink:

Jenny

I did this once, yes very satisfying  :D , he kept away for about a fortnight.

Michelle

HM

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 20:21 »
Thanks, eveyone. I have tried the stick treatment tonight - threatening, not beating! He was a bit suprised... But I think he may be waiting for me tomorrow. :ohmy:

But maybe I'm being paranoid.  :wub:

Will check back and let  you know.

HM x

wildwitchy

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 20:58 »
Hope you get on ok. If its a case of me or him, its me all the way! One swift swipe with a racket should do the trick I say! We use a mop when we want them out of the kitchen when they all charge in an unwanted fashion. They hate it.  :lol:

xx
ill cockerel

Started by rachels-e on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 11:25
by lisa80
xx
cockerel or not?

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 09:06
by bantam novice
xx
Should I have a Cockerel ?

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 09:50
by Blobbs
xx
Cockerel

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 20:52
by Honeysuckle

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 37 queries.