Damn Carrotfly...

• 5 Replies

AndyRVTR

Damn Carrotfly...
« on: June 24, 2009, 20:03 »
Well.. they got me... I checked one of the beds this afternoon and some of the foliage on a few carrots looked a bit worse for wear, mainly with a brown tinge and wilting. Anyway, I pulled one or two up and sure enough, tiny brown tunneling marks along the length of them.  I have removed about 4 others that looked a little suspect and brought  them home and put them in the dustbin. The question now has to be.. what do I do? Have I lost the whole bed... or is there any hope? I've heard that if I rub the leaves with a rag slightly damp with parrafin, this may deter other carrotflies from coming any where near, or do I just write the bed off?

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
Re: Damn Carrotfly...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 20:10 »
Hi, could use a spray made of garlic ( very organic ) or cover them with fleece.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 19:45 »
Anyone else any suggestions?  :(

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 21:09 »
Too late to protect them now. Make the best of what you have. Eat them soon, cut out the bad bits.

My experience is that deterrants such as onions grown alongside, garlic sprays etc do not work. The 2 ft barriers or grow in tubs may work but I have mine sealed in a tent of mesh so the beggars cannot get in. I bet they do!

If you sow carrots now you should have a crop by the Autumn. Still have to cover because there is a second generation in August.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:19 »
Thanks Salmo... one thing though... if the carrot fly have laid eggs in the soil, would I be able to use the same bed?

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 12:27 »
No. Some of the carrot fly maggots will have pupated in the soil and will hatch in a week or two under your net cover ready to find more carrots and lay their eggs.

xx
Damn! Damn! Damn! - Spud Question

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 16:08
by Babstreefern
xx
How to protect carrots from carrotfly

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 19:33
by sunshineband
xx
carrotfly resistant carrots

Started by digalotty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 13:57
by digalotty
xx
Oh No!!! Damn wind.........

Started by djbnat on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 22:31
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.738 seconds with 36 queries.