Is it cruel to keep chickens in a pen for most of the time

• 66 Replies

jjmack

Re: Is it cruel to keep chickens in a pen for most of the time
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 19:31 »
Question for stamford re the picture. Are the paving slabs around the outside to stop Mr fox digging? i have seen runs that have weldmesh that comes out the side for that reason but it doesn't half hurt when you catch your toe on it, so slabs would seem a very sensible option.

Thanks to all for your comments it has certainly given me something to think about and plan. i am not planning on getting any chickens for a few weeks due to lots of planned trips away, so once we are settled again i can get them sorted and then sort hen sitting a little less frequently. Fortunately for me a friend across the road has 4 hens so between us hopefully we can sort each other out.

wildwitchy

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2009, 21:10 »
That is a really nice little house foxy for the growers - given me another idea for when my inky chicks hatch & I can build them their house, especially the roof idea on a hinge. I never thought of that. x

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2009, 22:55 »
I use the bitumen roofing sheet, it's called Coraline or Onduline depending on where you buy it.
Great for hinged roofing.

I'm being talked into doing a youtube video tutorial on coop building for beginners, not sure when but I'm considering it:)

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2009, 14:13 »
Just to add you can buy the fixings from most builders merchants for the onduline, B+Q charge as much for the fixings as the sheet!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2009, 22:45 »
We've got a wonderful hardware tool shop in Boston which is wonderful for anything like these fixings, bits for your greenhouse glass etc etc.  And its the sort of place where you go in and they all know what you are talking about and you can buy as many or a few as you like!  Not like going into places like B&Q where you have to buy a packet of 20 even though you only want 2!!!

wildwitchy

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2009, 23:02 »
You don't find many places like that these days! They are to be preserved! The times I've gone into the big shops & bought more than I've needed & wished for an old fashioned shop that sells just one of something......and with the old fashioned politeness aswell.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2009, 23:07 »
And the old fashioned know how too WW!!!   :D :D

wildwitchy

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2009, 23:15 »
too true!  ;) My shed is full of half empty packets of stuff leftover from my building projects!

Janschooks

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2009, 08:29 »
Hi
I've just caught up with this thread been busy watching my chooks, had them 1 week today  :D

I made my own run. wicks do home delivery (next day) in this area (middle of no where wales) I bought the wood from there in 1.8m and 2.4m lengths. The 1.8m I used for the height and made panels (like flat pack) 2.4m long and 1.8m long then bolted them together, the advantage here is you can add more panels at a later date to extend the run if needed.
I got the wire mess from somewhere advertised on this site, 60m long and bought 2 x tarps from decorators direct @ £8.99 each for the roof so the run is dry and a bit of a wind break at the back, it's really exposed here and usually really windy.
3/4 of the run has a covering of hemcore and I've left a bit of dirt and some shrubs in the last 1/4 for them which they seem to prefer. Here's a pic

I used these sizes in order to minimise the amount of sawing and the door is wide enough to get a wheelbarrow through.
The 2 untreated poles in the pic are to stop puddles of water when it rains, I didn't think of that when I built it   ::)

Jan

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2009, 12:11 »
Looks great, don't forget to stake it all down or that roof will turn into a spinnaker.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2009, 16:26 »
Love this thread, here is a picture of our run made by my husband Steve from hazel poles (free) weldmesh below and chicken wire above (expensive alas).

It's 5m x 5m and the chooks still agitate to be out whenever they see anyone in the garden, so I would agree that if you are going to let them out you have to keep it up!
HEN_0001_1.JPG
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

chickadee

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2009, 21:01 »
i too made the mistake of buying one of these and have posted this about mine ....

i wanted to warn people of the false economy of buying a cheap chicken house -
last year in july i ordered a chickenshack  hen house from a well known company on the internet ( not sure if i can name them - and shame them ) arrived, set up and away i went with my 3 hen's. it is a nightmare to clean out impossible to rid of any critters if you get them, heavy to move and two months ago showed signs of the roof buckling and woodwork coming apart left right and centre. i contacted the company and explained the problem and they typically fobbed me off with wear and tear - 10 months wear and tear !!
the house cost me over £200 and would bet my money on it not lasting till winter made me really cross but cross with myself for not doing more research hence i have just ordered an eglu arrives in july wish i could rewind and not have parted with my cash to these leeches who are selling more and more of these shoddy hen housing to people like me.......be warned
chickens out

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2009, 12:52 »
janeheritage I like your run.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2009, 14:32 »
Thanks Ruff!  :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2009, 09:45 »
i too made the mistake of buying one of these and have posted this about mine ....

i wanted to warn people of the false economy of buying a cheap chicken house -
last year in july i ordered a chickenshack  hen house from a well known company on the internet ( not sure if i can name them - and shame them ) arrived, set up and away i went with my 3 hen's. it is a nightmare to clean out impossible to rid of any critters if you get them, heavy to move and two months ago showed signs of the roof buckling and woodwork coming apart left right and centre. i contacted the company and explained the problem and they typically fobbed me off with wear and tear - 10 months wear and tear !!
the house cost me over £200 and would bet my money on it not lasting till winter made me really cross but cross with myself for not doing more research hence i have just ordered an eglu arrives in july wish i could rewind and not have parted with my cash to these leeches who are selling more and more of these shoddy hen housing to people like me.......be warned

If you feel strongly enough then take them to court. That doesn't sound in the least like wear and tear to me but using cheap unseasoned / treated softwoods that have warped.

The chances are they'll make some sort of offer to avoid the expense of attendance.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
best time to get chickens

Started by sammie1207 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 04, 2014, 09:03
by Sassy
xx
best time to put chickens together??

Started by avilla on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 11:10
by avilla
xx
How much time do you spend on your chickens?

Started by SarahC375 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 12:57
by grinling
xx
Getting chickens for the first time - questions !!

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 14:50
by grinling

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 36 queries.