My current seedlings

• 11 Replies

Deucecoup

My current seedlings
« on: June 23, 2009, 17:51 »
This is the first time ive tried to grow Fruit & Veg and just thought id show how its going.
In the first tray is Baby Corn, Pak Choi, Mini Orange and White Pumpkin and Full Size White pumpkin.
In the second tray is Sugar Snap Pea, Water Melon, Mini Carrot, Tom Thumb Lettuce and Lemon Round Cucumbers.

The pictures were taken today and today is Day 6 from sowing the seeds.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Re: My current seedlings
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 17:52 »
Well done - its so rewarding seeing them pop up isn't it - especially so when they don't hang around. you've got a nice variety there too :)

Deucecoup

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 17:55 »
Yeah I cant believe the speed of the Pak Choi and Corns. :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 18:10 »
Well done, looking good

Some of the ones in the first tray are starting to look as though they could get leggy - make sure they've got as much light as possible and if necessary pot them up now so they don't get more drawn and heated.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Deucecoup

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 19:58 »
Well done, looking good

Some of the ones in the first tray are starting to look as though they could get leggy - make sure they've got as much light as possible and if necessary pot them up now so they don't get more drawn and heated.

They are growing fast, do you think I should pot them up and put them outside then?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 21:37 »
What are they again, from right to left in that piccie, but particularly the ones looking the most leggy?

Deucecoup

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 22:07 »
The leggy ones are Pak Choi, to the left of those are corn, then the rest are either pumpkin or water melon.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 22:15 »
I would definitely get the pak choi into either bigger modules or separate 3" pots pronto, they will get really leggy and rather weak if left as they are. 

I think they may also prefer to be outdoors - are they a brassica?? - but hopefully someone who knows about pak choi will be along soon.

The corn will soon outgrow its module, again I'd pot it onto a larger pot, it can also go outdoors (harden off gradually) before planting it out into its final position.  (Some people might say you'll be ok planting it straight out without an intermediate potting, their experience is deffo worth listening to too).

As for the others, keep an eye on them and pot them up when they look ready.

Those modules are a little small for ongoing growth so you need to make sure the plants don't get a check to their roots.

In future years, I'd probably keep each type of plant in separate trays or sets of modules, so that each can have its own growing conditions without affecting the others - but you're doing really well, your corn look better than mine  :D

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 23:27 »
Beautiful.  I don't want to get all hippy dippy soppy and "like spiritual maaan" but I just never fail to marvel at how amazing it is to see new life popping up from the soil like that! Gives me a little thrill, it does (in a nice way....tch... ::))  (And well done too!) :)
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 13:35 »
Sweetcorn don;t like their roots disturbed.  If they can go straight out then I would do that soon (harden off first). (I dunno if they are too small to go out, or not)

Alternatively pot on into Richy's Newspaper Pots, Loo rolls, or Peat pots (all of those you plant whole and they rot down in the soil and the roots grow through them)

Deucecoup

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 18:10 »
I got some peat pots today and started to harden them off. Im going to thin and pot the Pak Choi, Corn and Cucumber tonight/tmw and them leave them ready to plant out next week.

Thanks for all the input guys, still feels good everyday when I see how much they have grown.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 18:21 »
I got some peat pots today and started to harden them off. Im going to thin and pot the Pak Choi, Corn and Cucumber tonight/tmw and them leave them ready to plant out next week.

Thanks for all the input guys, still feels good everyday when I see how much they have grown.

:)

xx
Planting white current

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 14:32
by Trillium
xx
Moving Current Bushes

Started by stoney on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 17:09
by David.
xx
white current survivors!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 22:48
by Trillium
xx
What's the current best compost for seed sowing ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post November 19, 2022, 18:51
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.59 seconds with 36 queries.