Poo

• 6 Replies

tonethebone

Poo
« on: June 23, 2009, 15:16 »
A mucky subject I admit, but just wanted to check that all is well with my newly adjusting ex batts which I picked up on Saturday.
OH was surprised to see "hard" poo, as up till now they've been watery.
Egg production has dropped as well

Is this down to the change in environment/food??

Vember

Re: Poo
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 15:34 »
Moving house will have upset their routine a bit :(
As for solid poops nothing to worry about, just make sure they've got plenty of water down especially whilst it hot :)

Have a look through the pics in this link :)
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Egg production can sometimes slow or stop after the first day or so of getting them, don't worry they usually pick up again, make sure they have access to oyster shell :)

Sarah :)

tonethebone

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 15:46 »
Thanks Sarah

I didn't think it was too serious, but wanted to be sure.

I put out some oyster shell in the late afternoon and I've been collecting used egg shells to roast in the oven and grind down to give them - when I have enough.
And there is always fresh water.

At the moment they are basking in the shade!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 16:01 »
Make sure you know where they are laying  ;)

tonethebone

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 16:26 »
Thankfully from day one they've only laid in their hut and having shown them what to do in the evening, they now all go in at dusk.
If only they would go on their perches it would be ideal, but one step at a time...

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 00:34 »
I wouldn't be too worried about them not perching yet. They have to build up their muscle tone in their legs and feet. The ex-batts that we had were divided into two groups - without feathers and not too bad feet and feathered but with knackered feet.
We got ours in February and they have all learned to perch - it just took a while.
My mate is quite used to animal cruelty as she worked with RSPCA and she had seen photos of battery hens and she found the condition of their feet the most disturbing. We still have a couple of flat foots. Nic.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 00:43 by nicchick »

tonethebone

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 23:16 »
A couple of them have found the perches and will sit quite happily on them, the rest nest where they can.
I have one who seems to spend an awful lot of time in the hut and doesn't come out much, but I suppose some are more knackered than others after they life they had up till Saturday.

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 29 queries.