Use of Weedkiller in a Veg Plot

• 12 Replies

jailbee

Use of Weedkiller in a Veg Plot
« on: June 23, 2009, 14:30 »
My neighbour has used PATHCLEAR to kill weeds on paths in & around his veg plot.  Is this safe or will the resulting veg be contaminated in some way?

I ask as he kindly offers me veg but I'm not sure I want to be eating something that could be harmful.

cheers

JB

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
Re: Use of Weedkiller in a Veg Plot
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 14:38 »
The great debate.  Contains a herbicide like most modern weed killers (glyphosphate) like roundup.

Technically is safe BUT if the wind is up it can land on your plants and kill them.

It has no known residual effect and becomes inert on touching soil etc.

But I still wouldn't like anyon using it near me.  Look out for a fading of colour in your crop leaves.

Did he spray it or water it in via a watering can?  The can route would be better as no wind swept killer on your crops.

My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 18:17 »
I'm not sure, as pathclear contains an additional chemical which has a residual effect, I think (I bought it for use on my plot and then read the instructions more closely).

I personally probably wouldn't eat the veg (I use glyphosate on its own happily, but unless I'd satisfied myself about any additional ingredients in Pathclear I'd steer clear).

But others may know more about the added stuff in Pathclear  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SG6

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 18:20 »
I thought that PathClear had sodium chlorate in it.
This is a strong weedkiller and if I recall nothing is supposed to grow for 6 months after.
No idea if it has glyphosate in it, but if it contains sodium chlorate and was used on the veg bed I suspect there will be very little growing for a while.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 18:33 »
Product Info:
From: http://www.totallyhome.co.uk/weedkillers/pathclear-weed-killer-3-sachet/item43024550

A residual weedkiller specially formulated for paths and patios

It is effective against annual and perennial weeds.

Treats 30 sq m (36 sq yd)

It works by killing the existing leaves and roots, and creating a barrier in the soil preventing new weeds from growing for up to 3 months

Use from April to September

No sodium chlorate, but still wouldn't let it near my veg.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 20:04 »
From the info DD has posted it doesn't look like he'd be able to grow much in areas treated with pathclear, so any veg he does grow is probably from an area which has not been affected by drift - I wouldn't fancy using it around my patch though just in case I did accidentally get drift on my patch or want to dig out the paths and plant them later on in the year.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 20:34 »
The great debate.  Contains a herbicide like most modern weed killers (glyphosphate) like roundup.

Technically is safe BUT if the wind is up it can land on your plants and kill them.

It has no known residual effect and becomes inert on touching soil etc.

But I still wouldn't like anyon using it near me. 

I don't want to be contentious but you cannot make statements like this about glyphosate

IT DOES HAVE RESIDUAL EFFECTS AND DOES NOT BECOME COMPLETELY INERT ON CONTACT WITH THE SOIL.  IT CANNOT BE TECHNICALLY SAFE

As far back as 1997 Monsanto agreed in an out of court settlement  in New York ''to discontinue the use of such terms as bio-degradeable and environmentally friendly in all advertisments for Glyphosate containing products'' But still the myths persist

Glyphosate can be quite persistant in soils - residues have been found in crops grown in soil treated 1 year previously with glyphosate

It can leach from soil and contaminate water supplies

Glyphosate is toxic to beneficial soil organisma including earthworms

Glyphosate is extremely toxic to tadpoles

Glyphosate residues can inhibit the nitrogen fixing ability of clover

Having said all that I don't think Pathclear contains glyphosate!
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 20:47 »
Having said all that I don't think Pathclear contains glyphosate!

I have no intentions of repeating YET AGAIN the glyphosate debate. If you do a forum search, this has been more than well covered in the past and members are fully capable, (I hope) of making up their own minds from the information provided and linked to.

I apologise that I left out the ingredients which per the site I quoted are:  glyphosate, oxadiazon and diflufenican.

I'm sure Google can provide information on those.

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 20:51 »
That';s why I started my post, the great debate  :lol:

I stand corrected.

Still wouldn't want it used near me. lol

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 20:57 »
celjaci,  if you are going to make sweeping statements like that you need to back them up with citations from peer reviewed accademic articles and not the dodgey sites that are often quoted on here !

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 21:01 by Aunt Sally »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 21:45 »
That';s why I started my post, the great debate  :lol:

I stand corrected.

Still wouldn't want it used near me. lol

Please dont stand corrected BK, I was just about to point out that you did NOT offer an opinion - hence the great debate

Thisis is increasingly no longer a great debate when newbies (and indeed even oldies) are browbeaten into worries and  SHOUTING quotes that may or may not be true.  To quote these oft used sourcees doesnt mean it is true  research in all cases,and it is for everyone to make up their mind and state their opinion constructively without constant repetition, but with an open and informed mind.

I do not use weedkiller, it is my personal choice, but I don not need to justify that with large cut and pastes from other sites.

Cut and pastes in a large quantity are not your own work, so please do not use them

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 22:04 »
celjaci,  if you are going to make sweeping statements like that you need to back them up with citations from peer reviewed accademic articles and not the dodgey sites that are often quoted on here !

And just to be balanced does this also apply to the statements often made here in favour of Glyphosate?
 I have seen no citations here  to support the oft quoted myths and sweeping statements made in favour of glyphosate use nor calls for them

It seems very unbalanced!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 22:20 »
I'm fed up with glyphosate being such a contentious topic.  It didn't use to be - rational and balanced pro's and con's could be debated without anyone getting pedantic or bullied.

It seems as soon as anyone starts a question about any kind of weed killer or insecticide/fungicide the anti "chemical" spray lobby jump in with guns blazing.  This is not the reaction that the original poster wanted I'm sure.

Any one wishing to uses these substances is acting within the law and I'm sure they would never dictate to "organic" gardeners about what they should use.  So I see no reason why the converse should be continued.

So.... I'm locking the topic !

question
Using weedkiller to clear a new plot

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 16:51
by Spana
xx
weedkiller

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 23:12
by Salmo
xx
Weedkiller

Started by zarazara on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 13:23
by sazhig
xx
What do you do once you used weedkiller?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 16:21
by splodger

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 37 queries.