Stealth tax

• 2 Replies

hightide

• Experienced Member
Stealth tax
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:52 »
Our council allotments used to have a no shed no trees policy; which was relaxed when the recent upsurge in G.Y.O. kicked in. After waiting patiently, I obtained an unwanted shed from a friends neighbour and carefully dismantled and transported the panels down to the lotty. Some of the panels need repair, so at the moment only the base is laid.

Passing the notice board yesterday I read with consternation that the blasted allotment police are making a charge of £30 for any shed erected after May 2009! Now I feel disgusted by this as I was never consulted, think it is uneccessary, and hopping mad that my efforts may have been wasted. My neighbour said it was down to the cost for the council to clear the allotment should a holder give up. Anyone giving up usually sells on their unwanted bits to other holders, even if it was a moonlight flit the leftovers are always 'recycled'.

Mike 
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Stealth tax
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 12:34 »
seems very steep  :blink:  like you say most stuff on a site gets either passed on or reused.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
Re: Stealth tax
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 12:50 »
Seems to me that someone on the council has started to see your allotments as a bit of a cash cow. I'd attend the very next meeting and tell them why you think it is an unnecessary charge that goes against the very ethos of allotments and their tenants.
.... Or you could ask them if the £30 includes shed insurance. ;)

Page created in 1.238 seconds with 36 queries.