So cheesed off - need to rant.

• 7 Replies

Lardman

So cheesed off - need to rant.
« on: June 20, 2009, 19:16 »
This blasted Allium leaf miner  >:(  >:(  >:(

My onions are a waste, my shallots are just the same and I've just pulled a garlic bulb to use in dinner only to find its also eaten the bulbs out of those. Pulled 3 and they were all the same - no 1 clove between them.

I am SO CHEESED OFF Id allocated 40% of my growing space to the above and it looks like I wont get anything in return.   :(

Should I pull the lot (onions,shallots and garlic) now check for pupae and try and dry them using the space for cabbages or leave them and hope no more damage will be done?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: So cheesed off - need to rant.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 19:23 »
Sorry Lardman you may not agree with this, but as you have dedicated so much of your plot to this lot, Id give it up a bad job for this year....pull the lot and save what you can, and plant other things while youve still got time.  Others may disagree,but you need something to harvest this year without worrying for the rest of the season

Bad year for you mate, Im really sorry
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 00:26 »
Some days it does feel like I have angered the veg growing Gods somehow, I expect blight will show up in a week or so too.  ::) About the only thing I seem to have escaped is club root.

Im inclined to agree with you Peapod about cutting my losses, a look round the web shows that theres no cure and the best thing is to pull and destroy the crop  :ohmy:

Onion soup anyone?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 06:49 »
Some days it does feel like I have angered the veg growing Gods somehow,

I would like it put on record that it has nothing to do with me or peapod!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

elibump

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 07:03 »

Don't wish to dis you both but I think he was referring to the 'other' Gods - you know, him that's in cahoots with that Mother Nature woman. ;)
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:51 »
We have had similar damage to two of our plots of onions , the garlic is grown well away from these and is not affected. But of those that were looking curly a couple of weeks ago, there are some that have developed healthier looking stems. I am not going to dig them all up and destroy .
When I do harvest I will destroy any that are at all soft and will not store and I will not be planting onions in those areas of the plot again.

Next year I will also make sure that any alliums are planted well away from each other ,eg couple of rows onions then other veg carrots etc hopefully this will act as a barrier and stop the dreaded leaf miner spreading .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 10:37 »

Don't wish to dis you both but I think he was referring to the 'other' Gods - you know, him that's in cahoots with that Mother Nature woman. ;)

We just do peas  :lol: :lol:

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 11:49 »
We have had similar damage to two of our plots of onions , the garlic is grown well away from these and is not affected.

Have you check the garlic bulbs yet? from the surface mine looked fine, good stem & neck and not showing the same curly leaves like the onions. Its only been a fortnight since I cut the snapes off. If I hadn't found the pupae Id have said something else had caused the damage.

Ive found the cure for next year .....
evergreen_multi_purpose_grass_seed_with_rye_1kg.jpg

xx
my rant for the day! :(

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 08:32
by crowndale
xx
GRRRR I got to have a rant :(

Started by Swee'pea on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 21:26
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Leek moth rant

Started by sarajane on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 22:44
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 36 queries.