fungi matters

• 6 Replies

earthing83

• Experienced Member
fungi matters
« on: June 18, 2009, 22:25 »
Evening all, looking for some mushroom advice. I sowed some lemon balm seed in a mixture of old an new compost, covered with plastic and hey presto...I have some lemon balm seedlings but also several little mushrooms! What is the best thing to do? and can anyone suggest reasons for their growth? I'm guessing warm, moist places and the fact that I had some old compost in there? Should I pull them up, chop at soil level or will they be ok to leave? I'm not sure if they use up nutrients in the soil like plants do and therefore steal from the little seedlings!
Thanks in advance

Trillium

Re: fungi matters
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:30 »
Mushrooms definitely use up nutrients. Spent mushroom compost is a popular cheap soil additive, along with free crops of mushrooms for a while. Your conditions are ideal for them. Pull out the mushrooms as they appear and bin them as its possible you might have inedible ones. Better safe than sorry unless you've got a friend who is very knowledgeable in mushroom identification.
As for the lemon balm, keep an eye on them when you plant out as they'll soon spread everywhere.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 15:28 »
Everywhere being the operative word..............all over the place by seed :mad:
So if you don't want to be invaded make sure you chop off every bit of flowers or seed heads............be afraid be very afraid :ohmy: :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 16:35 »
Cheese makes everything better.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 16:53 »
My lemon balm grew for a couple of years then simply died off.
I don't have any now.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 17:45 »
You're one of the lucky ones, Annie. Mine too over, kind of like a Triffid invasion, and I had to hand pull hundreds of plants that invaded my flower gardens.

argaric

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 10:04 »
I would not worry too much about them unless they are going to grow large and shade out your seedlings.
Most funghi are saprophytes which means that get their nutrients from dead and decaying material.
Many plants such as the Vanilla Orchid cannot survive without their fungal partner and it is now thought that as many of 90% of all plants, trees etc have some form of symbiotic relationship with funghi where the funghi supplies water and nutrients to the plant and the plant provides sugars manufactured through photosynthesis to the funghi.
So be nice to the little fellows unless you find Honey Fungus then apply Napalm.

Regards,
  Argaric

xx
manure matters

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 16:53
by Lee G
xx
Pumpkins - size matters here...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2015, 20:15
by Growster...
xx
fungi

Started by prb1951 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:57
by evie2
xx
Weird fungi

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 12:08
by Munchkin

Page created in 0.734 seconds with 30 queries.