cougette help!!!

• 9 Replies

lisa80

cougette help!!!
« on: June 18, 2009, 15:59 »
I have just been to look at my courgettes they are small still but one of the flowers had died and courgette had started to rot at the end.Should i be picking them as soon as flower dies or can i leave them to get bigger.This may have been just a fluke but dont want them to go to waste they are only index finger size and width,(i have got small hands). I plan to give them a good feed tomorrow and see if that helps.Any advice would be wonderful!!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: cougette help!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 16:07 »
When the female flower opens it already has a baby courgette behind it. If the flower doesn't get pollinated the little fruit dies and falls off, if it does they grow until you decide to pick them :)Have you got flowers without the babies (the males) open as well? Sometimes at the beginning of the season the plants are a bit 'disorganised' and you can get all female or all male :( But they sort themselves out in a little while, and then you end up having too many :lol:

lisa80

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 16:14 »
Will have to have a look at flowers am not sure i have got a resident bee taking big interest will that help? must admit there is 5 or 6 on each plant already.How long am i likely to get a crop from the plants??? and how big should i let the courgette get? sorry for all the questions!!!!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 16:53 »
 You can eat them as small as you like - sometimes if the end of the courgette is sitting on wet ground it rots a bit, take these off and cut off the rotten bit - the rest is still good to eat. if you can put a brick or something under the plant to keep the fruits off the ground this might help.
Rachael

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 16:55 »
As long as you have male and female flowers the bees will do the work :) The plants will crop all summer. You can eat the courgettes from when they are small sausage size, right up till they are marrow size...but they are much nicer IMO before they get that big :)

lisa80

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 21:53 »
Many thanks for replys will inspect flowers tomorrow .

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 02:01 »
When / if you water them try to avoid getting the centre of the plant and leaves soaking wet (especially if the sun is strong). Water around the plant but don't leave it sitting in too soggy-a-soil to avoid rot.

In my humble opinion the other advice here sounds spot on to me. I think the odd one or two fruits will be lost but if you have several on a plant the crop will be pretty good as summer warms.

Happy picking!  ;) Go for smallish and then you'll pick more. Leave them to get too big and, although overall crop weight will probably be the same, you will get fewer fruits.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 09:15 »
It is one of the delights of growing your own to eat a baby corgette raw, straight from the plant when it is 2 or 3 inches long IMHO!

lisa80

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 11:33 »
I cant wait !!was really lucky with germination this year ended up with about 20 plants!! ended up giving all but 4 away and if they all do well will be enjoying courgettes for a long time!!!!!

Skip

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 11:38 »
G'Day All from Down Under!

Courgette, squash and pumpkin vines produce a heap of foliage, and if it is too dense it will impede bees from doing their pollination work.

So, here's what to do to improve fruit set. Both male and female flowers have just 24 hours to 'do their thing' before withering and dying. If the foliage is too dense get some slender sticks up to 18 inches long and judiciously poke them in the ground to more readily 'make a gap' to better expose the male and female flowers to the bees. This will greatly increase pollination and therefore fruit set. Constantly move the slender sticks around to repeat the exposure to the bees. The bees will love you for it and reward you with more fruits!

I have some of the most fantastic recipes using courgettes, squash and pumpkin so do message me for the recipes if interested.

Enjoy.

Skip
Skip, in Oz

xx
yellow cougette id

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 06:57
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 38 queries.